Fox Doodle Bug front fork help needed....

I picked up what appears to be a Fox Doodle Bug frame. I'm doing detective work trying to figure out if the front end is original, and how it works (the suspension mainly).
I think the P.O. Might have replaced/ modified the inner fork tube as they are what appears to be just 5/8" round stock. There are no holes or slots in them. So how are the lower tubes held on? There are no springs either, which should be fairly easy to replace?
But my main question is how are these things held on / how are they supposed to work?
I'm trying to decide if I should try to fix them, or just graft on new lowers and forget about the "suspension". The rest of the frame is fairly uncut...so I don't want to ruin it....but I'm also not looking for an original resto....I just want a driver. Any help would be appreciated!
Todd

Oz, There should be a hole in the 5/8" stock about 4" down from the point where it intersects with the tripletree. See first pic below. It's usually located on the side of the 5/8" stock but occasionally it's placed on the rear. These holes contained a small spring and a brass pin and that's what held the lower forks on. See second pic below. Sometimes the brass pin gets deformed and doesn't pop out making it look like there is no hole. Search around and let me know what you find and I'll walk you through the rest of the procedure. Ogy

Nope....definately not there. There are no holes (or broken off pins) anywhere on that inner rod.
So what would that pin stop on? The bushing? I'm having a hard time envisioning how this worked (and I design machines for a living! Kinda having a "duh" moment here....)
I'm wondering if it would be better to just sell the lowers to someone who has the correct upper fork and needs them and just going with rigids.....:shrug:

Oz, I'm wondering if the PO cut some of the 5/8" stock off for some reason. When the forks are slid onto the 5/8" stock they bump into the protruding brass pin. When you depress the brass pin and continue sliding the fork onto the stock it will remain depressed until it clears the bottom of the brass flange bushing in the top of the fork; at which point it will pop back out and not allow the fork to fall off. You've got the correct upper fork there Oz. What's the total length of the 5/8" stock? Ogy

Good info so far....thanks!

Ahhhh.....ok, I'm starting to get this I think. So do the holes in the lower fork tubes do anything? Maybe to depress the pin to get them back off...?

These inner fork tubes are about 10.5".....the finish on them is rough...looks like they were ground (poorly) and not perfect but done better than alot of "improvements" I've seen.

Your pics look awesome....and those things look like new. Is there a source for the parts to rebuild these or did you just source this stuff on your own?

While I'm on the kick with someone who seems to know these things.... Do you have a picture of how the rear axle was fixed / adjusted? The slots and brackets are there....but nothing else.

Oz, I'm at a loss. Without the holes for the spring and pin there is no way to keep the lowers from just sliding off. The length of the 5/8" rod is correct so they haven't been shortened. Is there any evidence that the pin holes have been filled in? Can you get me a pic of the side of the 5/8" rods? You are correct in that the un-threaded hole in the lower fork tube is used to remove the fork. To remove the lowers you rotate them so that the holes face outward. First pic. Then use an awl and depress the brass pin while sliding the lower fork tube downward. Second pic. Now the brass pin and spring are exposed and probably flying across your shop. All the Fox minis from 1962 to the early 1970's used this method to hold the front end together. There is no source for Fox parts. I'm restoring ten Fox Campus bikes. I've had to fabricate nearly all the parts myself and most of what you see in my pics was done by me; except the springs. I had those specially made for me by Ace wire & spring co. out of Pittsburgh. Doodlebugs aren't my primary area of interest but I will sort through my info. and what I can come up with as to the mounting of the rear axle etc. See if you can get me a couple of pics of your 5/8" sliders. Ogy