Frame Painting Fixture

Just painted a frame/forks/tank for a friend. (Flame Red, which is an old color from the late 50's through the 80's used by the big three, single stage, urethane top coated.)

I made a paint stand for gas tanks with a 1/8 NPT fuel fitting out of a Rupp Go Kart bearing hanger and brake rod. I am still hanging forks on wood/ladder. Need to make something for those.

Nice work. is that the single stage urethane alone? You mentioned top coating, just wondering if you added a clear coat.
Hi Ole, I had to clear coat. The bike is going in to a collection and will probably never see fuel, or get ridden. But I felt it was best to clear coat the tank as I haven't been 100% on single stage being fuel proof. (I used HOK 2K primer) So once I cleared the tank, and due to it's size and position on the bike, figure I'd better match the frame.

I've done plenty of bikes with this paint without clear coating, as have others, and as long as you keep it indoors when not riding, the coating lasts just fine.

Just painted a frame/forks/tank for a friend. (Flame Red, which is an old color from the late 50's through the 80's used by the big three, single stage, urethane top coated.)

I made a paint stand for gas tanks with a 1/8 NPT fuel fitting out of a Rupp Go Kart bearing hanger and brake rod. I am still hanging forks on wood/ladder. Need to make something for those.

I like the stand you made for the tank Dave. Could you post another picture of it. I might have to steal your idea

@chatten63 here is a better photo of the tank stand. Rupp kart bearing hanger, old Rupp brake rod, and welded 1/8 NPT bolt on the end. Nut is used to place tension against the threads for setting the tank where it balances. Designed so I can clamp the fixture, or weight it down. It was stable enough as it was to paint this particular tank. Real easy to do. I had been using a broom stick jammed in the fill neck, then taped. I was then forced to clamp the broom stick in a vice while it cured. With this, I can set it on a shelf and "fugget about it."