Gas tank holes bolts seperating

Massimo mb200. On my second gas tank. Both have broken. Where the bolts on the front mount it to the frame, the bolts have ripped the outer shell of the tank. So where it used to attach to the frame are 2 holes, and the bolts are in the frame just minding their own business.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this after I order my 2nd replacement ?

Attachments

2old2care

Something must be under a strain, when you tighten the tank down - The bolts must be pulling against the tank wall.
Maybe put some shim washers under it, so you don't pull it down so hard when you tighten it.
Could also be that they're sending you the wrong tank?

I was thinking about putting some rubber washers on the bolts to try and reduce the vibration that must be putting strain on the thin metal. The screw in the rear never has this problem....maybe the metal is thicker there (I doubt it) or it just doesnt receive as much stress as the front. I think if I could "cushion" the front bolts, like you mentioned, it may prevent this.

2old2care

I'm
I was thinking about putting some rubber washers on the bolts to try and reduce the vibration that must be putting strain on the thin metal. The screw in the rear never has this problem....maybe the metal is thicker there (I doubt it) or it just doesnt receive as much stress as the front. I think if I could "cushion" the front bolts, like you mentioned, it may prevent this.
I'm thinking that the tank should sit flat on it's mounts - If it doesn't, and you have to pull it down with the bolts, then something is wrong.
Is there something under the center of the tank, that's holding it off the mounts? Or is the new tank shaped wrong?
If the bottom center of the tank is too "fat" or something like that, maybe you could push or dent it in, so it lays flat.
In any case, if you have to put a strain on those bolts to install it, I think you're going to have an ongoing problem.

I'm

I'm thinking that the tank should sit flat on it's mounts - If it doesn't, and you have to pull it down with the bolts, then something is wrong.
Is there something under the center of the tank, that's holding it off the mounts? Or is the new tank shaped wrong?
If the bottom center of the tank is too "fat" or something like that, maybe you could push or dent it in, so it lays flat.
In any case, if you have to put a strain on those bolts to install it, I think you're going to have an ongoing problem.
You can see the washer mark on the bottom center of the tank. File it down and see if the tanks rests evenly on the brackets.