Getting more speed from jackshaft

I have a predator powered Baja Hawg Ty. The acceleration is great, but I need a bit more speed without hopping up the engine.

I understand how the jackshaft works, I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with changing the jackshaft in sprocket with a smaller toothed gear? if so, what were your experiences in doing so?

I have a buddy who's telling me to ditch the jackshaft altogether but I have no interest in that because i like to go off road.

noseoil

You can go with a TAV type of setup to gain top speed & not miss out on bottom end at all (only about $70). You can change the jackshaft sprockets to change final drive, but it won't accelerate as well & is harder on the clutch. I've done both & a TAV is a pretty good compromise between top speed & acceleration for a bike.

When you start playing with the primary sprocket, you need to watch the chain length. The secondary drive sprocket swap is easier to adjust for chain length.

MJL

The outboard jackshaft sprocket (the one connected to the clutch) has a harder to find recessed hub. The inboard sprocket (connected to the rear tire) easier to come by.

And yes, a TAV is better. Took some spring swapping to get mine where I wanted it, but it way out performs a single speed setup for general, mixed terrain, riding around.

Last edited:
Tav for sure..the launches are sweet and top end nice...the only thing I miss is the off throttle rasp on gear braking ..the exhaust note is nice..:smile: