gokart gear ratio? 8hp 1in shaft.

i have a gokart frame with an old 8hp briggs and want it for offroading and going up steep hills and stuff. its got 22's in the back and 15's in the front. i have a tav 40 tourq a verter but it dont really work for what i want. i want tourqe, lots of it to get me up a steep hill. im not looking for high speed just going up big hills muddin and pullin stuff arround my house. what should i do for sprockets and all that stuff? any help would be great.

-Tater Salad. :hammer:

C9H13NO3

I have 21in tires on my kart with a TAV and a modded clone, running to a 60t rear sprocket from BMI Karts and Supplies - Home and the thing pulls like a monster. Depending on your kart you may have to change the gear on the TAV, not the axle. What size shaft does your driven ride on? What size chain are you running?

look at the driven part of your tav . most likely if its not performing like you want adjust the driven 1 2 3 these setting allow the engine to get higher in its power range . setting 3 lets the motor rev higher before engaging and 1 it engages almost instantly i might have this backward but you get the drift.i had a 13hp engine with tav on setting 3, and it would lift the front wheels of the ground with 60t rear sprocket and 10t sprocket on tav driven.thats why they call them torque converters they make torque!

:grind:i had the same problem with my bike and it was because my sprocket was a 72 tooth which is good for high speed on a flat road. for you i would go with the old stand by go with a 60 tooth sprocket and a 10 tooth on the engine that's a good all around set up to begin with. i also think that this 8hp you have is not going to do the job you want it to. if you really want to have fun put a 125cc or a 200cc dirt bike engine on it just fab up new engine mounts for it i did this with a baja minibike and i never looked back you will have gobbs of power for those big tire and you will gigal like a school girl when your riding it. you can get one of these engine on ebay cheap i got mine for about $125. and i did almost nothing to it the sprocket and the chain were even the same size for the engine to the baja minibike 40,41 i took it to windber pa minibike reunion and had a ball on it. so try more power in the engine something with ball and have alot more fun in the end.

look at the driven part of your tav . most likely if its not performing like you want adjust the driven 1 2 3 these setting allow the engine to get higher in its power range . setting 3 lets the motor rev higher before engaging and 1 it engages almost instantly i might have this backward but you get the drift.i had a 13hp engine with tav on setting 3, and it would lift the front wheels of the ground with 60t rear sprocket and 10t sprocket on tav driven.thats why they call them torque converters they make torque!
is the 1 2 3 settings on the spring mount thing? i see the spring is on one post, and there is 3 of them, is that it?

Last edited: