Greetings from a new guy

nightgrider

@toslow as others have stated if you keep your eyes peeled you can find vintage frames on FB marketplace, craigslist, etc. for reasonable prices, but they usually need a good amount of work. I found my fox campus on the FB marketplace, but it was pretty rough. The only original parts left on the bike was the wheels and someone had cut up the engine mounting plate. So I had to do some welding.

Attachments

DaddyJohn

IMHO, the smaller (Doodlebug/CT100U) has more of a vintage look, just because there weren’t many “big” minis being made at the time, and those that were looked different from the CT200U. That said, if you’re going for comfort as an adult-sized person, the 200 is a better choice. You also won’t have to swap the engine out, as they come standard with a 196cc clone engine. The anemic engines the Doodlebug and CT100U come with almost guarantee you’ll want to swap them out for something more powerful.

If you do manage to find an actual vintage mini, I’ve found them to be much more work (due to corrosion and needing refinished), usually missing essential parts (like wheels, seats, controls, engines, etc), and obtaining parts will usually be less straight forward and certainly more expensive. Not to talk you out of it, because I still grab every reasonably-priced one I can get, but if your goal is to get riding ASAP, and have something a bit easier to deal with, the Chinese bikes might be your bag. Or get a Chinese bike, then keep your eyes peeled for a vintage model to add to the collection…

Last edited:

LIVIT

Thanks Livit, I belong to some other forums and the people here seem to be very helpful. I've been following your post. Sounds like you are on your way. I've looked at the Rascal and also the Azusa and the Lil Indian.Use to you could find find alot of stores selling Colemans but not lately. Thanks again.
Same here, use to be Colemans for sale at numerous stores here, even Walmart. I've not seen any at all recently. Have to wonder what's going on with that. Is Coleman getting ready to put out a new line. I sure would like too see some more new bikes with full suspension and hydraulic brakes. The Trail Masters are nice, but $1300 has kept me from hitting the buy button. I personally think they need some competition too bring the prices down a bit. You had any luck in your search yet ?

SAS289

Same here, use to be Colemans for sale at numerous stores here, even Walmart. I've not seen any at all recently. Have to wonder what's going on with that. Is Coleman getting ready to put out a new line. I sure would like too see some more new bikes with full suspension and hydraulic brakes. The Trail Masters are nice, but $1300 has kept me from hitting the buy button. I personally think they need some competition too bring the prices down a bit. You had any luck in your search yet ?
In 2016-17 guys were buying up 200U's. Back then Walmart would regularly have them on sale for $250. In December of 16 I saw a 200U in a Walmart on sale for $199.

DaddyJohn

Nowadays, they call it the CT200U-A, which seems to be the same as the original minus the cool racks. They seem to be about $750 at this point, but at that price level, there’s better options available, like the Coleman BT200-X or RB200.

Thanks all for your responses. I have been researching and found a couple of ct200's both needed work and were wanting 500-600 for them. I'll keep looking and maybe with Christmas coming some stores might have a 200. Still like the vintage ones but thought a Coleman would be easier to find. Thanks

Being sedentary is bad for your health. People who are sedentary every day have an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease and premature death. In addition, sitting all the time burns few calories, which many studies have linked to weight gain and obesity. For office workers who sit most of the day, this is a major problem. Fortunately, standing desk are becoming more and more popular.

Mr. Pink

Recently, I’ve been able to pick up two mostly complete Doodlebugs for around $150 each that I found on Facebook Marketplace.

I’ve replaced both of the anemic engines that they came with, one with a 1974 Briggs and Stratton 5hp and the other with a new 212 Predator.

So if you are patient and put a little work into the build there is no reason that you can’t have a reliable, vintage looking bike for around $300.

Minimichael

Recently, I’ve been able to pick up two mostly complete Doodlebugs for around $150 each that I found on Facebook Marketplace.

I’ve replaced both of the anemic engines that they came with, one with a 1974 Briggs and Stratton 5hp and the other with a new 212 Predator.

So if you are patient and put a little work into the build there is no reason that you can’t have a reliable, vintage looking bike for around $300.
Indeed, what Mr. Pink says. And the closer you can get to a complete roller the better. Wheels, handlebars and other hardware can really eat up the budget quickly. To say nothing of engine rebuilds...

I totally agree with the other commenters tho. Nothing's better than vintage if you have the time and inclination.

I really like the vintage ones. But I may have to work with what I can find. Back in the 60's and 70's there really was not alot of places around here that sold them.