H30 engine rebuild questions

So I want to rebuild this motor, where can I find parts?
repair manual?
I was told by a local small engine repair man to toss it and buy a new one. He said it is not worth it?

I would like to try to do it myself and if I brake it, then i guess I have to buy a new one.

so what do I need to do?

furyus

So I want to rebuild this motor, where can I find parts?
repair manual?
I was told by a local small engine repair man to toss it and buy a new one. He said it is not worth it?

I would like to try to do it myself and if I brake it, then i guess I have to buy a new one.

so what do I need to do?
The local small engine repair guy fixes edgers and mowers for Herb Homeowner. For Herb's purposes, it isn't fiscally sensible to rebuild an old H30 so he can edge his lawn four or five times a year.

You, on the other hand, by virtue of posting on OldMiniBikes, must dig old engines and old bikes. The satisfaction of firing her up after YOU have rebuilt her will be immeasurable. Parts are available - here, there and everywhere. Thousands of manuals out there, too, even on CD. Take your time. Study. Ask questions. Invest a few dollars in the tools you'll need.

Lesser men than you have rebuilt H30s. Why, I'm even doing one myself.

No try. Do.

furyus

Ok so does anyone have a manuel for the H30 they can share?

The motor runs strong, just doesn't idle very good. I just ordered a carb rebuild kit, so I hope that works... any other input on these H30 motors?

Parts are out there, I get a lot of the older Tecumseh minibike stuff from Brandt with Rupp parts, Because I run into the same problem dealing with the local small engine shops when it comes to the older Tecumseh stuff. They can't find shit with out parts numbers, model, serial numbers, And the do not think outside the box. A lot of these engine are missing that that info when you pick them up. Brandt seem to know right away what you need after a couple of question about your engine. Not a lot of places left like that.

korndog

Ok so does anyone have a manuel for the H30 they can share?

The motor runs strong, just doesn't idle very good. I just ordered a carb rebuild kit, so I hope that works... any other input on these H30 motors?
Brandt has rebuild instructions for the carbs. Hayne's Small Engine Repair manual is very good reading. It has all the specs needed for your engine and many many others. Illustrated guide to assembly, inspection, replacement, tuneup, etc. Talks about needed shop tools. Really great book IMO. You can rebuild your engine with that book alone (except for full valve job).

furyus

I just bought a 1972 Tecumseh "Mechanics Manual" off ebay for $14 shipped. Big ol' three ring binder with at minimum some good reference material. Like to pick up a Tecumseh/Lauson parts book, too, but so far sellers are asking big bucks for them. I'll stumble on one for less one of these days. Sounds like I should stumble on the Haynes as well.

furyus

That "Technician's Handbook" is great! Thanks for the link. I have an old Sears Craftsman Reserve Power 3.0 hp motor (it's a Tecumseh H30, I think.) It has the diaphragm carburetor setup and I've had a tough time getting it to idle. The local Sears store sells carb rebuild kits, but even after rebuilding the carb, it still just won't idle. Any suggestions that y'all know that might help with this particular engine? I have a doodlebug minibike that I want to put this motor on, but need to get it to idle before I do. Thanks.
Mike:confused:

That "Technician's Handbook" is great! Thanks for the link. I have an old Sears Craftsman Reserve Power 3.0 hp motor (it's a Tecumseh H30, I think.) It has the diaphragm carburetor setup and I've had a tough time getting it to idle. The local Sears store sells carb rebuild kits, but even after rebuilding the carb, it still just won't idle. Any suggestions that y'all know that might help with this particular engine? I have a doodlebug minibike that I want to put this motor on, but need to get it to idle before I do. Thanks.
Mike:confused:
I am having the same problem. the engine runs great at fast idle, just wont idle down. I am going to pull it off again (just rebuilt) and stick it in the ultra-sonic cleaner at work for a few minutes in isoprople alcohol and see if that will clean it up any better....

Let me know if soaking it in alcohol works. I don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, but would be interested in knowing if that works for you. I like this little engine, and am hoping to get it tuned so I can get the minibike going for the grandkids. I have another doodlebug that has a 6.5 hp clone engine, and it runs really good, but need this second one to be put into service - I have several grandkids that are ready to learn to ride!!:thumbsup:

Let me know if soaking it in alcohol works. I don't have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, but would be interested in knowing if that works for you. I like this little engine, and am hoping to get it tuned so I can get the minibike going for the grandkids. I have another doodlebug that has a 6.5 hp clone engine, and it runs really good, but need this second one to be put into service - I have several grandkids that are ready to learn to ride!!:thumbsup:
Ok so I have an update, I took the carb apart and soaked it in paint thinner...
also I found what I think was the problem all along. the brass fitting that holds the float bowl on, the one the main jet screws into. there are some holes in that brass fitting. a larger one toward the bottom and a very small one towards the top. the small one is like a pin hole. Well mine was clogged. I had to use a piece of wire from my wire brush to to clean out the hole... after I did that and put it back together.. ( the carb soaked for 15 minutes in thinner) it worked.. it finally idled down low..... now I have to fix that stupid governor linkage......

also I am about 1.5 turns open on the main jet and about 3/4 turns open on the idle mixture jet. I am going to try to readjust the governor tonight....

Aaron

hi, i also have a tecumseh h30. i am in need of a carb too although the carb model number i need is 631921 i have no clue of the age of this motor i just wanna get it running. any suggestions?

OutdoorDistributors carries the carb you are looking for, brand new for $87.19 not including S/H. A brand new one would be better then an old one that you would have to rebuild and hope it stills work somewhat.

is there any way i can mount a tillosten? idk if spelled right, or maybe a mikuni?
i know it will have to be a small car like a 20mm or 22mm? but i can make a intake.. i just wondered if anyone has tried it on such a small motor...

Last edited:
good news! i got the bike runnin perfect. idk how long it will last but its sweet for now. who knew a pin sized hole in the float could reek such havok! lol i slapped some jb weld on the bitch and i was good to go! :scooter::001_tt2: