H35 carb problems

I've got an old 70's era H35 with Sears numbers on it (143). I'm trying to get it running for my son so I can stick it on a minibike frame. It will run with starting fluid and has good spark. The problem is the carb is a total gummed up mess.

I think a rebuild is not an option due to it's condition. I took it apart this evening to measure the venturi and mounting holes. I really was thinking of trying to rig up a PZ19 to it.

The weird thing is the manifold hole is only 1/2" wide. The venturi on the carb I just took off is 1". Is this normal? Aren't the ports supposed to match up?

What would I have to do to mount up a cheap PZ19? I don't want to spend a ton of money on this. If it looks that way, I may just sit it in the corner of my garage for a giant paper weight. :smile:

Edit: I just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400075627115&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It appears the mounting holes might match up.

well if the carb is same port size it aught to work you might have to play with it some though an might need a maniflold for it as well but they arnt that much

I just converted 19mm to inches and it's .74 inches. That still means my carb is 1/4" bigger than my manifold (manifold is only 1/2"). Where would I find a 3/4" manifold to match the PZ19?

The carb that was on it (it looks original) had a 1" diameter hole leading to the 1/2" hole on the intake manifold. That is why I was confused.

I don't think they make a carb with a venturi that small. The PZ16 is the smallest I can find for 50 cc engines and 16mm = .62 inches, which is still larger than my intake manifold (1/2")

I'm thoroughly confused now :confused:

The carb that was on it (it looks original) had a 1" diameter hole leading to the 1/2" hole on the intake manifold. That is why I was confused.

I don't think they make a carb with a venturi that small. The PZ16 is the smallest I can find for 50 cc engines and 16mm = .62 inches, which is still larger than my intake manifold (1/2")

I'm thoroughly confused now :confused:
i am as well hmm are you sure thats the original carb for it and manifold?

I just got a similar motor Sears (143-5841XX something like that) number on it. Its a h35 tecumseh off a snow blower. It originally had a diaphram carb. The person I got it from gave me two tecumseh float carbs to try on it. I took the diaphram carb and replaced with a float carb and it started and ran well on the first pull. I did notice that the intake size was smaller than the original diaphram and float bowl carbs. They were definately made that way. I don't know if that intake is specific to the sears tecumseh's, this motor is the first h35 I've had.

Insidentally, the crank is a stepped and partially keyed. No traditional clutch will fit. I'm trying to determine what crank will fit this motor.

mybiz

You probably can stick a pz19 on with no prob! There cheap too now is the pz19 going to be to much for a 3.5hp not sure but i believe you'll be OK hopefully it ont be dumping in to much fuel:confused: Your cheapest and easiest way to go about a intake is build your own or take an old tec intake and do some grinding and drilling to make the pz19 fit up to and old tec intake manifold now you or i'm getting:confused::confused::confused: Put a pic up of what you got and a pic of the bowl off to :doah: