h50 wont run

Troy built chipper/vac with 5hp tech H50. The carb was disassembled and cleaned. Installed a new spark plug and put in fresh gas and replaced both carb gaskets. It still won't run but back fires from the carb. I'm thinking flywheel key. Are they aluminum like the briggs motors? It supposedly ran when put away last year. Does anyone know the carb screw settings and float height on this motor? 65582V is the model number. Help! I can use it for leaves if I get it running.

Thanks

The float should just sit level with the rest of the body when it's closed.. I'm gonna say hanging like 3/8 inch below the carb body.. 1/4 inch or 3/8... something like that...

adjustment screws I usually go like 1 5/8 on the idle, and like 1 1/4 on the main to strat...

Idle speed should be just cracked... like screw it shut so the screw isn't even touching the throttle shaft... Screw it in till they meet, then like MAYBE 2 complete turns, not even, more like 1 or just over...

It's not on a bike and no clutch so I'd just give it like 2 turns and let it high idle like a bitch if it wants until ya figure it out...

if it's popping though the carb it's probably valves.. These small engines all have a slight valve leak in the intake valve that lets off compression as you're starting the motor...

The motor wears out some, pretty soon the intake valve isn't closing all the way....

When they get worn so they are poppoing, they can be a real bitch to start.. You almost gotta douche it down good with a shot of gas, hold it wide open and PULL LIKE HELL....

get the engine rolling as fast as you can, and ya might get it to suck air and go in the rite dirrection.....

OR it could be spark.. Chipper it may have sucked up a rock and sheared the key some... Someone may have fcked with the timing and have it too advanced.. :shrug: The keys in Tecumsehs are steel.. there are a few different types..

sounds like an intake valve to me...