hard starting super bronc

Please help. I have a super bronc by Heald that I obtained last December from a M/C junkyard. It sat a long time and the engine was in bad shape from water and crud. I cleaned the fuel tank, put on new fuel lines and filters, placed the carb and fuel pump in carb cleaner and blew them out with air, placed a new spark plug and checked the spark which was good. Bike is partly restored but has a starting and running problem. It will not start except with a shot of ether, then it starts easily but will not continue to run except with the choke almost closed, completely closing the choke kills the engine. When revving the engine it misses and backfires. Running the engine until hot does not change its behavior. I have tried different spark plug settings and settled on .030 but none of the different settings made any difference. I am 71 years old and cannot pull the rope hard and for long but my young friends can pull it very hard and it will start but the running problem still prevails. Any help would be appreciated. This old man loves to ride the super bronc. Gary