Hard to believe a near full tank and a hot day would do this.

f4radar

Cap not vented? Never seen anything like that.
That is actually frightening.
It was the original vented cap. Maybe it only lets air in and not out or maybe something besides pressure caused it. I soldiered the cracks up with a zip tie...lets see ho long that lasts.

f4radar

It ain’t pretty but it’s not leaking anymore. Got my fall tilling done so I got till spring to get a new tank. IMG_5478.jpeg IMG_5479.jpeg IMG_5480.jpeg

Last edited:
Vents are often way undersized and can be clogged super easily. Either that, or some EPA bullcrap where they don't want much gas venting into the atmosphere.

Even on old cars (70s etc) the vent for the tank is barely the diameter of a needle. Very common for them to be clogged as the vehicle ages.

Triley41395

Looks like fixing it might be futile. Appears to be more cracks forming. I don't think I have a tank like that but I'll check and see. If I do have one in good condition I'll send it to you. Screenshot_20230906_192316_Chrome.jpg

f4radar

Looks like fixing it might be futile. Appears to be more cracks forming. I don't think I have a tank like that but I'll check and see. If I do have one in good condition I'll send it to you. View attachment 305640
Thanks buddy! I can get one on Amazon for 28 shipped. I think that’s what I’m going to end up doing. Anyways I gotta find something to send you before I get more.

Mr. Pink

I can understand maybe subpar plastic in a windshield washer bottle or a coolant overflow tank, but that's a GASOLINE tank!
My Toro snowblower with a Briggs and Stratton engine had a recall for cracked fuel tanks.
Even though I sent in the registration card, I was never informed by the manufacture.
One day, noticed the garage stinking of gasoline.
While researching to find a part number, found out about the recall.
Talked to three different Authorized Toro Service Centers before I found one willing to swap out the tank at no charge.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2006/the-toro-company-expands-recall-of-snowthrowers-posing-fire-hazard

Last edited: