Have Y'all Ever......

....taken a Wheel apart, and Re-Laced it? I wanna detail these Wheels. I'm finding that they have been Painted, and what looks like Rust, is more like Dirt and Grease.

Anyone here work on this kind of thing?

Thanks!

Attachments

Yes, several times, and there are several threads on doing this. Not hard at all.

My home made truing stand, using a Tecumseh timing dial indicator to check run out.

Yes, it is weird, and just because I've never seen a spoke done like that before, doesn't mean it was never done. It just goes against what a spoke is supposed to be doing. Bent, it ads some "spring" to what is supposed to be rigid.

Either they were bent to offset the hub, or the hub was offset, and years of torque and misalignment have caused them to warp. Just a guess.

capguncowboy

General geometry laws prescribe that if half of the spokes on one side of the rim are bent, and the hub isn't bent, then the opposite half of the other side of spokes has to bend to compensate.

New spokes can be bought at a number of places, but BlackWidowMotorSports.net has the right ones. They're pricey, but it will help with the headache of trying to find the right ones and getting it wrong

#15588 SPOKE AND NIPPLE FOR 1970 10" WHEELS

I'm thinking that they are suppose to be bent. Otherwise, they won't reach the Nipple Holes. I tried a couple straight ones, and they miss by a mile. Also looked at another ThunderBolt, and they look bent in the same fashion.