Hello There Guys I Need Your Guys Help With This Rupp

thanks minibikedude i like that engine as i want to do a full restore on my rupp at some point im only 17 years old and kind of new to this stuff i started getting into minibikes last year and have owned a couple minibikes Ive had a cougar and a go devil and sold them each running for 200 a piece i didnt know what they were worth back then
i currently only own that rupp and a chrome sears roebuck in perfect condition il post pics later so you guys could see
minibike dude would you be willing to fix my engine ill pay you cash and take care of shiping the lawnmower shop in my areas are scared to take it on =(

gustavo,

If its not firing with gas sparyed in the carb and you say its go spark, either the spark is not strong enough, there is no compression, or the timing is off. It does not sound like you have a compression tester but you can do a very basic test by taking the spark plug out and hold the thumb tight against the hole as you pull the motor. You should feel a strong suction and push of air. If there is any decent compression then check your spark. It should be a snappy strong blue spark. Not a weak one. hold the plug wire 1/4 inch away from the top of the plug with rubber handled pliers and pull the motor. Sometimes it helps to have someone else pull while you check. If there is no compression, it is either rings, valves, or a head gasket issue.

Good luck, don't give up until you know what the problem is. Its worth learning.

PJ

Ok thanks pj
Il do what you say later on in the day it's 100 degrees in Chicago right now imma wait for the heat to calm down
Il let you guys know how it goes I really want to get this engine going so I can start the restore thank you guys for
helping me this is my favorite forum ;) :thumbsup:

ok i i checked for spark like you told me id does have a blue spark
i forgot to check compression the way you told me cause it was HOTT today but when i pull the string the compression seems good
is the head gasket the metal gasket that goes between the head and block as maybe that could be the culprit of my woes the local lawnmiower shop closed down till sept were can i get one of those and also how can i check if the timing is correct

If it has decent compression then a quick squirt of starter fluid should should cause it to fire. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think you mentioned replacing the flywheel key and then it ran for a bit. I'm now guessing you didn't tighten the flywheel nut tight enough and the key sheared again. I did that numberous times years ago as a teenager not realizing that I wasn't tightening the flywheel enough. That might be it.

Yea it should
Thanks pj yes I'm going to check again I checked before and it seems the key has lines grooved into it as if it wanted to break last time I checked it
I am going to check it again
Ok so it's the flywheel then the cup then washer and nut right? I want to make sure im doing it right is there a
washer or something needed between the cup and the
flywheel when I got this rupp there was literally a car wheel luggbolt holding the flywheel Down
And yes pj this engine did run when I replaced flywheel key but then It went downhill so yes it might be that I didn't tighten it good enough and it got loose or something

The order you mentioned is correct. Good luck. Flywheel should be tight. There are proper ways to tight one but for a Tec you could use a large ratchet and a rubber mallet or an air impact gun.

Paul

Ok I got an update for Paul and all the rest of this great forum ;) I put a carb that I know for sure works as that carb was the one that came with the running tech I bought. All I could hear were some slight pops here and there even when I sprayed starter fluid into the carb and plug hole on top all I got were slight pops I still haven't tried to tighten the flywheel bolt to my full strength I will do that next and see what happens but for now that's all I got from it

guys I forgot to add that i removed the head gasket like a week ago to clean out all the carbon it had in there
should the head gasket be replaced everytime its removed? because i stuck the same old one it had back on

You should replace the head gasket as it might not be sealing anymore. Also, the fly wheel doesn't just need to be tightened, you need to re-check the flyweel key. When you retighten it, use repeated quick blows with a mallet since you don't have a tool to hold the flywheel. Check the flywheel before getting a new gasket.

PJ

Thanks pj for all the help you have been giving me
Ok I finnally had time to give the motor some love today since I started skool on Monday
Well I checked the key it wasn't broken so I put it back in and I tightened the flywheel really tight by putting a piece of rope through the sparkplug hole ;)
I used all the gas I had in my rupp tank to turn on the charcoal for my barbecue today lol so I only had the gas that was left in the carb to work with and guess what it fired right up when I choked the engine il let you know how things work out when I get some gas

ok guys heres an update i got the engine running but it was running extremely high when i gave it throttle and i think it might have sheared the flywheel key again since the engine dose not want to start i have another question the washer that goes before the bolt to tighten flywheel shold it go like this |) or like this |(
|=flywheel

Thanks for all the help guys especially to pj the motor runs great now it smokes a little but I convinced my local lawnmower guy of replacing the rings parts plus work for 50 bucks :) will standard rings be ok or should I get oversized rings?

Should I go oversize rings or will standard rings work?