Helmets

Who wears them and what do you like?
I’ve been looking for a vintage helmet but the ones I see I don’t want to put near my head. I see amazon sells some repop vintage style ones with cool colors and all. Being brand new I would gladly wear one. Currently not wearing one and the more I ride the faster I go and get more comfortable doing crazy stuff. Wife is not to happy with me. So what are your thoughts on them
Craig

oldsledz

I wear one when I go on the road off road I don't ride vary fast or hard. I have a half helmet and a vintage style helmet. About 10 years ago I hit a Grate Dane while riding a small road bike going 25 MPH . The bike and I went end over end on a gravel road lots of road rash, 3 broken ribs 2 broken shoulder bones that needed surgery to fix and still not as good as they were. Also a large scrape on my vintage Kawasaki helmet but it saved my head, never knew I hit my head tip I looked at the helmet. I wish everyone would wear helmets you never know when you will need one.

Buy a new one with DOT approval, minimum. Everything deteriorates. Don't know about now, but used to be recommended not to use any helmet more than two years old, or any helmet subjected to an impact, even without visible damage. I crashed a street bike many years ago; went over the bars and landed on the left side of my full face helmet and my left elbow and slid down the road on my stomach until friction finally overcame momentum. The helmet was the only protective gear I was wearing; I'll spare you the gory details, but you can imagine sliding on asphalt in jeans and a t-shirt. My left elbow was broken and I had a lot of serious road rash on my arms, chest and stomach. The helmet had gouges on the left side of the chin bar, shield and forehead area. Without the helmet, I would have died, or worse. I know minibikes aren't the same, but it only takes like a 10 mph +/- impact to your head to do you in. You can get a new DOT approved open face helmet for around $35 (see link below for example), which would be a lot better than nothing. A helmet needs to fit snugly; check sizing chart for the particular helmet.

Retro helmet; $34.90 with free shipping at time of post.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V7CJ5N

gbabins1

The kids and I have quite a few mx helmets we alternate. Last year for Father's day they bought this one Amazon. Love it, fits great and has a cool old school look!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Consider the value of your head and the potential cost to repair it. You know the old saying, right? If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet.

Buy the best one that you can afford and make sure it fits right. Full face models offer the most protection. I have landed on my face more than once, but I still use an open face sometimes around the neighborhood and when we ride in the local parade. Go to your local motorcycle shop and try some on. While you're there, buy locally.

I wear one when I go on the road off road I don't ride vary fast or hard. I have a half helmet and a vintage style helmet. About 10 years ago I hit a Grate Dane while riding a small road bike going 25 MPH . The bike and I went end over end on a gravel road lots of road rash, 3 broken ribs 2 broken shoulder bones that needed surgery to fix and still not as good as they were. Also a large scrape on my vintage Kawasaki helmet but it saved my head, never knew I hit my head tip I looked at the helmet. I wish everyone would wear helmets you never know when you will need one.
How did the Great Dane fare after being hit?
Michael

Fullface helmet a must to me..those openface "football" helmets offer less protection and can pop off ..and leather gloves ..lf you ever put your hands down to lift your face off the pavement while grinding to a stop you will loose all the meat off your palms..been there

Last edited:
Fullface helmet a must to me..those openface "football" helmets offer less protection and can pop off ..and leather gloves ..lf you ever put your hands down to lift your face off the pavement while grinding to a stop you will loose all the meat off your palms..been there
I have 3 helmets, all are full-face; a Shoei, a Bell and a KBC. I have leather riding gloves with Kevlar in the palms and hard carbon fiber knuckle guards.

Divouneh

I use a small one with my motorcycle [emoji56], no one with my mini bike. [emoji54]....
However never run long, if I will make a long trip with mini bike I will used the same as in
my motorcycle...

Divouneh,

I always wear my helmet and I only ride at my house or our race track. (controlled environments) There's way too many hard objects on my property and usually I'm testing so I'm always prepared for some kind of failure. Our track is doesn't allow you to go WOT often and is pretty forgiving if you over shoot a corner. The biggest concern is when someone spins out and their head is on the floor in the middle of the track... Right now I have an open face helmet but with our bikes getting more powerful I will be getting a full faced MX bucket. I also wear full ankle boots, long shirt/pants, goggles and MX gloves. I had a bad wipe out this season so now I'm also considering elbow guards.

Thanks for the info
I’m ordering a Daytona helmet in the captain America /easy rider style from amazon.
Should be here in a few days
The torc t50 had some nice styles. Maybe I collect helmets now

Now should I get googles or bubble shield? Craig

Thanks for the info
I’m ordering a Daytona helmet in the captain America /easy rider style from amazon.
Should be here in a few days
The torc t50 had some nice styles. Maybe I collect helmets now

Now should I get googles or bubble shield? Craig
:laugh: I was thinking I wouldn't mind a few of the Bell retro helmets just to display on a shelf! I have a couple of overly large collections of other things, though; no room for another collection.

Another option would be a shorty shield combined with a visor.

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Shorty-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XT9F0WEACYEK0VEXPVQZ