Help...can't seal pto crank seal 5 hp fleathead

Have tried three seals and oil insists on making its way through the seal into the clutch...then its nogo. With new oil takes little time before it smells like gas in the oil as well. Very light scoring on the shaft and cast-in bearing. Its a cool-bore engine. If I clean the oil from the clutch (hilliard extreme) takes about two minutes of riding before the inside is coated and useless again. Engine does not smoke and starts and runs like a dream. Thanks for any help.:shrug:

Last edited:
Its got me stumped. I love flatheads. My first two ran great with no problems. The shaft is smooth where it meets the seal and there is no play in the shaft. Wierd.

Sounds like maybe you have excessive crankcase pressure building (blow-by)..that would also explain why the oil smells like fuel.

(ooops 5 horse fan types faster than I do.)

Seems to do what its supposed to...creates suction and blows out the other way...I dont know if that is a reliable test though. I should just replace and see if it makes a difference.

Sounds like you have a bushing type sidecover.
I haven't found an HQ oil seal for the bushing sidecover yet.

You might want to try reducing the oil level some.

I changed the diaphragm in the carb and the engine oil. Two minutes of fun and it was back to the oily slipping clutch. Time to order a crankcase breather.

125ccCrazy

if the side cover and/or the bearing surface in the block are worn and the crank is slopping in there you will have a sealing issue.. see if you can move the crank up and down any..