Help! cover won't come off.

Engine is newer Tecumseh here >> http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1106 and I COULD NOT get the cover off the remove the gov, this is the first one to give me trouble and I tried everything (without getting carried away and cause damage) I could get it to come 1/8"-1/4" then it's like it pinned in there or something! What the hell? I even tried working lightly with a steering wheel puller but stopped because I don't want to do any damage.

Help! I will not be governed!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
If you can get it to have a little gap. Then get a flathead screw driver and pry it off on all 4 corners a little at a time. If it still won't come off it's usually the crank shaft being stuck on the side cover. It's not really all to bad.

MDB, It's bad! I've done quite a few now and never saw one this bad.

A screwdriver could damage the aluminum,,, thats how bad it is! I had a puller on that thing and wiggled the hell out of it. As long as theres no "anti gov removale safety" on it, I'll keep trying but might need a new seal. :doah:

pauly

I had to remove a side cover off a 4 or 5hp engine a few years ago and had same problem, after several hours, i removed crank seal and found a snap ring holding it on. I can't remember if it was a briggs or tecumseh.

I had to remove a side cover off a 4 or 5hp engine a few years ago and had same problem, after several hours, i removed crank seal and found a snap ring holding it on. I can't remember if it was a briggs or tecumseh.
Did you have to replace the seal? if not, ghow did you go about it? :doah: If theres a ring,, then theres a trick to sliding something in there to remove it. tHANKS ! :thumbsup: GTO

pauly

Yes, the seal will get damaged on removal, the snap ring can be removed with small screw driver or any pointy tool if you don't have the proper tool.

Pull out the seal, you will have to replace it, then use snap ring pliers. No prob. I'm sorta surprised that MDB would give such bad advice. LOL.

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

are all the bolts out?
has the seal been removed?
have you checked for snap rings (very rare)?
have you removed any and all keys from the pto?
is the govenor arm or gear catching on anything it may help to rotate the crank a little
are the alignment pins free?
the trick here is to ID what is keeping it in place and work on that be gentle go slow
does this engine have a ball bearing side cover or bushing the ball bearing covers can be difficult and must come off straight or they will bind
be careful prying as it is easy to distroy the sealing surfaces on the block and side cover I have been known to use wooden wedges in the gap and tap on the pto with a soft deadblow hammer
good luck

GTO.........dont worry about the governor guts......I have several 7000 RPM Tec small blocks..all have governor guts in them and none have failed or caused any problems