Help me decide what to do....

I got a free Manco T-bird with a Tec h35 motor on it. It has been sitting outside for a few years. The carb was off of it when I got it. The guy said that the motor would run if he squirted fuel into it. But the carb needed some work. It turns over easy and there is spark. Should I try to mess with the carb or just buy the 6.5hp motor from Harbor Freight for $129? I hate to sink money into to a unknown motor and carb if there is something wrong with either. Also how hard would it be to set up Harbor Freight motor on this bike? Sorry for all the questions I'm new at this Mini stuff....BTW I am 6'4 and 280lbs. I didn't know if the bigger motor would be better for me.

Last edited:

hitman

HELL YA! I mean...welcome the world of mini's. I just had something similar happen to me. I bought a mini that was all cobbed up. There is nothing to the Tec carbs. I figured if I spent $20 to get a new float, fuel needle and gasket and go from there. A little oven cleaner, and some cussing I got it running crazy good. Even if you should decide to move to a lager power plant later you still have that engine that you could slap into another frame. Oh Yes...you will own others so plan ahead. That carb is basically a S&S super "B" in 3/4 scale ish. So, what I'm trying to say is, try to fix the carb, and then later buy a bigger engine. In essence...do both.

The throttle cable hooks into a spring contraption that hooks to what I belive is the gov. then there is a straight piece of wire with a hook on the end that is not hooked up. I guess it goes to the carb. When I open the butterfly on the carb it won't return on its own. I didn't want to ask for pics of the throttle linkage assembly due to seeing all kinds requests from other newbies. But I searched and could not find the pics or diagrams that I need. Is there a "master" rebuild kit?

hitman

you are correct sir!

It is the govenor. You can bypass that whole mess if you wish, and just hook your cable directly to the butterfly. I had the same issue. I put a return spring on it so it would return to low rpm. I think you can do a site search and there should be ample photos here to look at.
Good luck.

Throttle junky, I like to use the gov arm as the throttle because it looks stock and has less stress on the carb trottle. I do remove the gov inside but leave the arm on the outside. The rod needs to hook into the carb throttle before the carb goes on, you tilt the carb and hook it in then bolt the carb down and it won't come of. Don't bend the rod.

Heres a pic of my Tecumseh 5 HP HS50 same idea. on the other side by the pull cover you should have a cable hook up and a return spring. If you need pic's of that let me know.

Oh and heres a clone in a manco. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
BTW, if your carb is sticky it probably just needs a cleaning , you will see a screw on the butterfly, just remove that and pull the shaft out, make sure you keep track of how the gaskets and spring were and the face of the butterfly has a mark on it and must go back the same way. carb kit is only $12