Help needed with HS50...

I got it this past Saturday and put it on the bike yesterday. It came off of a snowblower so I replaced primer carb the carb with a $15 knockoff. I got it running but when I gave it some throttle it would rev up and want to stay up. Then it would finally idle down and die. I messed with the settings and after way too much messing it finally seemed to be running well. Had plenty of power and idled down nicely. I took it out for a ride after work today and it was back to not idling down and stalling once it finally did. I have to crank the idle up high to keep it running and I’m now seeing what I believe is white maybe blue smoke when I throttle it.
The spark plug isn’t new but it’s gapped and definitely not fouled. Also, it is not a points engine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve73

I got it this past Saturday and put it on the bike yesterday. It came off of a snowblower so I replaced primer carb the carb with a $15 knockoff. I got it running but when I gave it some throttle it would rev up and want to stay up. Then it would finally idle down and die. I messed with the settings and after way too much messing it finally seemed to be running well. Had plenty of power and idled down nicely. I took it out for a ride after work today and it was back to not idling down and stalling once it finally did. I have to crank the idle up high to keep it running and I’m now seeing what I believe is white maybe blue smoke when I throttle it.
The spark plug isn’t new but it’s gapped and definitely not fouled. Also, it is not a points engine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ive always had good results using some seafoam with every engine I get.. Helps..

DaddyJohn

I'd swap one of the $10 eBay carbs onto it and see what that does. The snow blower carbs are made to run at a steady throttle setting, and don't always translate well to mini bike use. Has worked fine for me, and there's a low financial risk to giving it a shot. Probably some threads on here dealing with the swap...

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I’m not jinxing myself but it seems to have been nothing more than sediment in the gas tank. I put the bike together this Sunday and used an old pesticide tank for the gas tank and it isn’t as clean as it could be.

I swapped the carb, drained the tank and added an inline filter to cover my butt.

Thanks again...