Help on Tillotson electric start

My Tillotson 212 electric start just clicks when I turn the key.
Bad battery? I jumper it from my (running) truck. Click.
Bad solenoid? I short the solenoid terminals, spark but it doesn't turn over.
The oil is full, so it's not likely the shutoff.
Can anyone help?

Is the solenoid mounted on the starter, or is the solenoid mounted somewhere else, with a cable going from the solenoid to the starter?

Did it ever start with the electric starter?

I bought this used, so I don't know if the starter ever worked, though I have to think it did or it would have been returned.

It's not the solenoid. I shorted the contacts and it still doesn't twitch.

zefer

Zefer t Motorsport
Sounds like a bad solenoid or a bad ground
I bought one for 8 bucks...it takes 10
Minutes to swap it out...BUT make sure the positive terminal is removed from the battery.
Why beat your head against the wall going thru a bunch of stuff
It's a cheap diagnostic tool and if it takes care of the problem great if not....drop back and punt !

Yes, the black cable connects the frame to the battery.

The starter still does not work. I've thrown it to the back of the bench and gone on to other things. Screw Tillotosn.

zefer

Zefer t Motorsport
Man don't give up I've got built 212 Tilly E starts that fire on the button. I did away with the whole mess of starter switch relay box that hangs off the motor and wired my starter to a button on the bars...hot from battery to positive post on the starter blue solenoid wire off the solenoid to one side of the stater button and the other wire from the switch to ground.if your battery is hot then you should be able to fire it up. If it still won't fire the you got a bad starter or solenoid...hey did you ever check your coil gap ?