Help with frame repair...

After pressure cleaning my Bird a couple weeks ago... Dont call P.E.T.A. :thumbsup:

And I noticed that the frame had been repaired due to a break. the weld jobs is sloppy and the welds didnt penetrate the metal barley. What is the best was to repair this section?

Get a section of pipe that has the inside diameter that matches the bike's tube/frame OD and cut it in half and clean up damaged area and weld the half pipe piece underneath. Or takes the two halves and sandwich a piece on each side of the damaged tube.

Get a section of pipe that has the inside diameter that matches the bike's tube/frame OD and cut it in half and clean up damaged area and weld the half pipe piece underneath. Or takes the two halves and sandwich a piece on each side of the damaged tube.
Great idea!

Then I can blend the ends of the sectioned pipe, and itll just look like a slightly larger tube.

Problem is I will have to take it to my welder and have him tackle it for me. How thick (wall) of tubing should I get?

Took the bike to a local muffler shop and had them weld it up for me. They ran a heavy bead around the break. Im going to blend it in and see how it holds up.

Took the bike to a local muffler shop and had them weld it up for me. They ran a heavy bead around the break. Im going to blend it in and see how it holds up.
Well it'll most likely break without a slug to truly tie it together, that's a common place for frames to break and a load bearing area. I have an Arco broken in the same spot, I'm gonna cut the frame in another area to seperate it for slugs and some good welds. I've seen lots of broken frames and even more well intended but poor repairs, who knows it may hold but I'm guessing not.:thumbsup:

They charged me twenty bucks. They also welded the muffler fitting to the header. Its just a metal pipe fiting that allows me to unscrew the muffler if I want.

The guy was going to weld a small piece of bar to the inside of the frame. But we both thought it would be smart to wait until I drop the clone in, just in case I have to drill new holes for the engine mount. The guys used to build karts and owned a couple minis. So they gave me no issues welding the stuff up for me.

Where can I get the piping I need to do the repair properly? They didn't have any, and didn't know of a place to get it either...

Try a plumbing supply business. You could also ask the welder who has some experience with karts and minis about adding a piece of 1/2" x 1/2" square stock along the bottom side of the tube both sides to be uniform. Then blend it in somewhat to look good.