HF pipe bender

Search found nothing.
Can a decent mini bike frame be made using one of the HF pipe bending tools? I see they make a hand driven one and a hydraulic powered one.
will the bends be well made or are the tools junk?

The orange hydraulic ones can make decent bends but not pretty as some and they can kink. Don't ask too much from it and it works fine, you cannot make radius bends or too extreme a bend but for around the shop on other projects it does well.:thumbsup:

How much have you got to spend. I have the harbour version and have been able to build to frames.
They are powerful, but can only realy bent to 100 deg then they go wonky. If and when I get a chance I want the JD2 pipe bender.

125ccCrazy

I have the orange hyd HF bender, it's almost useless....it dents the pipe and/or kinks it with much more than maybe a 30 degree bend..... I don't know if packing the pipe with sand would help but no way will you get even close to a 90..

rmm727

Hines Bending Bench Top Mount Manual Tube & Pipe Bender | eBay

I'd take a look at that one too. It's made for tube and not pipe, therefore it won't kink everything. I can't imagine it being too fun bending it's maximum capacity though. Probably would need to be bolted down somewhere really solid and use a handle extension.
I got this one for Xmas last year. I am not a fan and I sent it back because I managed to bend it trying to bend 1" OD .083 wall DOM that was within its capabilities. I can post up pics. Also, the tubing would bind up the ring that holds the tubing from pulling out of the front of the die. So when you would unthread the bolt holding that ring, it would beat up the threads in the die. I will admit it looked like it would be great for mini bikers but I feel it is more for the smaller stuff or alum/copper.

I have a HF pipe bender and it works ok if you pack the tubing full of sand and tape off the ends. 7/8" tubing fits good in the 1/2" die but will still kink if going for a 90 deg bend. 1" tube is too loose in the 3/4" die and flattens as you bend it. Still produces kinks.

Will be getting a JD2 model 32 soon. No sense in wasting all more money. Might as well get the real deal that will do roll cages and such.

Hines Bending Bench Top Mount Manual Tube & Pipe Bender | eBay

I'd take a look at that one too. It's made for tube and not pipe, therefore it won't kink everything. I can't imagine it being too fun bending it's maximum capacity though. Probably would need to be bolted down somewhere really solid and use a handle extension.
I'm also looking into a tubing bender.

The Ebay Hinds Bender ad is scarry. Little information. It does not discribe what your getting.
The shipping for me is over $75!
No information or You Tube video on its functions, and quality.

He is very upset about negitive feedback. Than anything he's selling. That tells me that it would be a "BIG" gamble. That I would get one without problems.
It's a, "Buy this, shut up and go away", ad.:eek:ut:
Or....I liked dinner and kissed first!:eek:

I am going with the ,Woodward Fab

My only drawback will be getting a 1" round set up.

Bullhead:thumbsup:

Today is Sunday, 7 / 8 / 20012. I just took a look at the Ebay ad for the Hines Bending Tool. They changed the ad. They lowered the price to $130. Plus gave a little better discripition of the tool.
Bullhead

Last edited:

rmm727

The Woodward Fab is identical to the Hines unit but the dies aren't cast as nice. When I had the Hines bender they wouldn't sell me the 1" square die separate so I called Woodward and they would. Still have the 1" square die that I will gladly sell if you decide to buy the model with the 1" round one.

I have the HF Pipe Bender and have bent up stainless one inch tube for a exhaust, I filled it with sand first and you can bend it a bit but not that much. I have since bought a hydraulic bender and both 1 inch and 7/8 inch dies. It can bend 180 degrees with a smooth bend. Just have to make sure the tube thickness is at least the minimum specified.

i made this one out of oak. It bends pretty good. i did the .083 7/8 with it. its a bit over 5" diameter to the inside . but i took a little too much wood out so its a little floppy in there and distorts when you get it past 110 degrees or so. im gonna try packin it with sand to see if that makes it any nicer. and i think some way to clamp it at the start to keep it from pulling through would help alot

I got a HF PIPE bender and it will bend PIPE like black pipe from lowes/home depot OK but will not bend tubing well at all.

I also have a hines type bender and it will bend TUBING but it does leaves marks/kinks.

My conclusion is you have spend the money to get a decent bend or go through extrodinary lengths to make a decent bend with a cheap bender.

Mac

I actually found this 2" radius 3/4" die at a Swapmeet.
It was probably from a Meat Processing Plant or similar
where meat or stuff hang from hooks and roll on a track.
Seems simple enough to make if a guy could stick metal together.
Like a round drum and two really thick washers welded at the ends.

Last edited:
As stated by another member who has done this..., I too have done this when I was in Auto Shop many years ago We used a hand-wheel tubing bender where we filled the tubing with dry sand and welded/crushed the ends closed. We then bent the tubing. The sand would not allow the walls of the tubing to collapse while being bent.
Have any of you tried this trick with the HF benders?

rmm727

I have tried that but its not a replacement for a good bender might specifically for tubing. I still got some crushing/flattening and kinking of the tubing. I'd say save your money till you can buy the real deal. I have a 12 ton HF pipe bender, had a Hines till I sent it back because it bent, now my JD2 model 32 will be here tomorrow:smile: