His first real ride.

This morning in an hour my friend Patric and his new CT200U-EX is going with me on a 14 mile ride at Oak Flats ( see my post on that area). This will be his first ride the the forest mountain trails in his life. He is as giddy as a school boy and is really looking forward to this ride. Patric is in his late 50's and has always wanted to do off-road riding but life was just too busy for him with little free time left for fun.
I'll be videoing the ride. It should be fun.

SAS289

That's fantastic. He will get to experience something many of us with mini bikes will never experience. Can't wait to see the vid.

We did go to Oak Flats and rode four 8 mile trails. I started him out on an easy trail and we ended up three hours later on one of the most technical trails Oak flats had to offer. 90% large rocks and boulders up and down very steep side of the mountain. He learned real quick and had only one mishap when he slipped off of the side of a large boulder and did a 360 barrel roll back onto the large rocks. He was only slightly bruised but the cylinder of the engine sucked in about 1/2 pint of hot motor oil. The engine went into hydraulic lock. I always carry a spark plug wrench and he pulled the plug and pulled the rope starter and soaked the bike in motor oil pretty good..
Lessons learned.. His pride was hurt more than he was.
We got the engine running and took care of any mosquitoes in the area for a long while, as it took a good ten minutes to burn the oil out of the exhaust. ( he runs 100% synthetic oil in his engine,so the low oil level was not a problem, the level was still 1/2 way up the stick))
We rode the ten miles back to my car and all went well. In all we rode 22 miles in four hours from soft pine needle trails to hang-on-for-dear-life boulder fields.
We drove back to my house and pressure washed the bikes and did a once over of both for any damage. His bike has a few scratches on the air cleaner and a bent chain guard that was easy to fix.
After lunch we went up/down my 1/4 mile back road and on the way back the master link on his drive chain came apart jamming the rear wheel. No harm done. I have a spare in my bikes tool kit, at least it came apart a couple hundred yards from my house. The pressure washer may have dislodged the master link keeper?
I should get us the cotter pin type master links to prevent this from happening again.
Both bikes took to the trails with no issues.
I was surprised how much smaller his CT200U-EX is next to my Hawg-Ty bike. I have a Predator 212 on my bike an his is a 196cc but he had no trouble keeping up with me on the steepest grades.
The original owner of his bike had the tires inflated to 15 PSI, way too much and dangerous for that type of tire and where we ride.
I set his tires to 5 PSI and the traction was very good on the sand,clay,pebbles,rocks,large rock,boulders and loose pine needles we rode on today.
Traction was not an issue as long as he did not "gun" the engine on the side of a very large boulder and roll the sidewall over which is what got him into trouble.
He had a great time and is looking forward to this Wednesday ride in Coyote Canyon where I will have him follow me up to 10,000 feet ASL to the top of Cedro Peak in Tijeras,New Mexico.
He is hooked,I've created a monster.......

Here are a couple of photos of the mountain we had to climb and where he rolled his bike. As luck has it, it could not have been in a more remote area as we were 10 miles from the car.
G0040382.JPG
The beginning of the climb
G0040420.JPG
The higher we climber,the bigger the rocks got.
G0040721.JPG
When I did not see him following me I stopped and walked down the mountain to see what had happened. The photo just does not show how steep it really was.
G0040706.JPG

I found him and helped him push the bike with the locked engine up to my bike where I carry tools.

G0040771.JPG

As posted, after the oil was pumped out of the cylinder, the bike was able to be started and we continued on with no real harm done to the bike of Patrick.

Patrick wanted to go up "Another Juan" Trail, noted for being very rocky. It was. Loose rocks just play havoc for traction on a steep incline.
We were almost at the top of the mountain when the trail got very steep with boulders on one side and a drop off on the other.
We just kept our RPMs up and we both managed to climb this section of the trail with only moderate wheel spin.
I did not notice the young lady watching us as we were half way up this portion. As we drove by we waved to her and she said she had never seen one of these trail scooters and was amazed how well they could climb.
lady.JPG

Last edited: