HM80 Modifications

Hello,

Second thread I've made here. I'm gearing up to do some light modification to my HM80 in a few months and am doing my research into what I need for what I'm doing to it. This will be some very light modification as I don't intend to really make it a screamer of an engine. I really just want to de-govern it when I have it apart for refurbishment and determining other parts I may need to replace/clean internally. In the process of doing this I'm going to change the connecting rod out to a billet one, likely the HM100 ARC racing rod since I'm not able to source a STAR rod. This is to increase reliability mostly since the OEM rods are a big fail point for Tecumseh engines.

The two parts I'm having trouble sourcing are a set of 18 lb springs and a flywheel. I've read about people taking Briggs springs and modifying them though and might have to go that route. Any help such as spring sizing or direct sources, and tips/advice with this would be much appreciated.

Obviously, depending on the condition of the internals of this engine, there may well be additional work to do things like hone the piston chamber/replace valves. Typical refurb items like reseating the valves and all new gaskets and piston rings will be done. I figured that since the engine will be taken 1/2 apart just for cleaning the outside to blast/repaint it I should give it a refurbishment and a few fixes to keep it reliable.

The specific engine serial is HM80-155026 if that helps any.

Sprocket86

I don't think you're going to find a billet flywheel for the big HM series of engines.

These engines use a cast iron cylinder and most were used on snowblowers depending on where you live. If the engine you have was used on a snowblower, chances are that it didn't see a lot of use and it didn't inhale dusty/dirty air.

Either way it would be a good idea to open it up and have a look .

What type of mini bike is this going on?

I don't think you're going to find a billet flywheel for the big HM series of engines.

These engines use a cast iron cylinder and most were used on snowblowers depending on where you live. If the engine you have was used on a snowblower, chances are that it didn't see a lot of use and it didn't inhale dusty/dirty air.

Either way it would be a good idea to open it up and have a look .

What type of mini bike is this going on?
This was indeed on a snowblower. Specifically came off a Montgomery Ward snowblower bought by my Uncle in 1964, the blower cover is stamped as manufactured in 1963. It was used up until the 80's at some point when the rest of the snowblower was corroding to pieces and the engine was saved and stuffed on a shelf. This is on my ~1970 Fox Street Scamp frame that I've been keeping the overall build updated in that separate thread linked below.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-member-fox-frankenstein.177497/

As far as the flywheel goes, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find anything for that that is billet and will have to stick with the cast iron monster. The magnet for this thing is actually bolted in from what I recall.