How to get back compression ?

O.k. now that I've identified that there's a compression problem (too low) what are my next steps ? How do I correct a low compression problem ? is this something that a joe hack like myself can do or do I need to send it out ? cost ? and any other opinions that you can share ... I'm all ears.

P.S. It's a '72 Arctic Whisker :grind:
R.

den35

That has the Saxonette engine,right?Unhook the spark plug and pull the engine over slowly with your ear close to the cylinder head.This way you should be able to hear if it's a head gasket problem.Pay attention for a leak around the spark plug as well.

Popping the head off is not hard at all.Finding a replacement head gasket,however,could be a challenge.

Because it's a simple 2-stroke,anything else(piston,rings,cylinder jug) would be a fair amount of effort and expense to repair.Assuming you can find parts.

replace head gasket, install new rings
Just installing new rings wont fix the problem. To do the job properly, the cylinder should be checked that it is still round and doesn't taper, if that all checks out then the cylinder should be honed and then you can install your new rings.

If the cylinder is out of round then you will need to bore the motor and install the next size up piston. You will most probably need to take the motor to a repair shop to get that done.

I hope that answers your question a little better:)