HS 40 cams

I have three different HS 40 cams, I guess one will provide more power a different rpms. I will post pictures.

I got them from a snow blower, a roto tiller, the other I don't remember

Last edited:
I have three different HS 40 cams, I guess one will provide more power a different rpms. I will post pictures.

I got them from a snow blower, a roto tiller, the other I don't remember
Two cams on the left are the cam on the right stays oprn for a much longer duration. What power differnce would there be between these two different types.

No difference. Affects dwell of points or duration of coil charge up. May or may not be interchangeable.
but doesn't the cam open and close the valves. Actually I remembered there is a gear driven cam inside. So I wonder why they made this cam at the most it might provide a longer spark time maybe made sure the fuel was fully burned.

Last edited:
Your picture is the ignition cam, for opening and closing the points. The valve camshaft is completely different and different ones can have a significant effect on performance.

Your picture is the ignition cam, for opening and closing the points. The valve camshaft is completely different and different ones can have a significant effect on performance.
I think the motor that had the different ignition cam was from a roto tiller which in my opinion probably require more torque than the snow blower which probably required higher revs , I haven't check the valve cams to see if it was different but I'll bet it is.

cncsparky
Thanks for reminding me. any experience with roto tiller motors in a mini bike