HS40 broken muffler bolt

copyman

Hi

What is best way to remove a broken muffler bolt? Engine was badly rusted and when I went to remove exhaust to rebuild engine the one rusted bolt broke off flush with block. I've been spraying with rust penetrating oil until I find out best way to remove?

Thanks

Heat it, center punch and I mean get it on center, drill for an easy out. Get a straight easy-out, not the spiral kind, drive it in and turn it out. If you have a welder, weld thru a nut to the stud and try to wrench it out. If aluminum block the heat from welding will help. If all fails metal disintegration machining or spark erosion will work, but not cheap.

f4radar

I never have any luck with an easyout on those small broken bolts. When I try I always end up digging the broken easyout out of the broken bolt. I have the most luck with center drilling the bolt as large as large as I can without messing up the block threads, then digging the the old threads out and run a tap through the original threads to clean out the old tailings. In my experience those broken bolts are only in there 3/8-1/2 inch and they're not very hard steel.

Last edited:

Lizardking

I never have any luck with an easyout on those small broken bolts. When I try I always end up digging the broken easyout out of the broken bolt. I have the most luck with center drilling the bolt as large as large as I can without messing up the block threads, then digging the the old threads out and run a tap through the original threads to clean out the old tailings. In my experience those broken bolts are only in there 3/8-1/2 inch and they're not very hard steel.
X2 on this method for a broken exhaust bolt.

That has been my experience as well ^^^^^^
Michael

Venom38

Yes, not much meat to that bolt. Fresh drill bit and drill it out.

Attachments

River Rat Ron

Not going to beat this horse but I will add a little trick an old mechanic taught me when I was busting knuckles in the 80s. After heating the block in this case, try tightening the bolt just a red one before loosening.

I prefer when just the head snaps off so I can weld a nut over the stud.
That way I can break it again in the block requiring drill n tap. :D

Normally when I’m building a motor I would suggest anti seize on a steel bolt when installing them in aluminum.
On a hot exhaust not sure it would make any difference

Last edited:

Mr. Pink

Normally when I’m building a motor I would suggest anti seize on a steel bolt when installing them in aluminum.
On a hot exhaust not sure it would make any difference
I've always been a proponent of using anti-seize on any part that gets hot or is prone to rust.
Spark plugs - but never on the first two threads.
Wheel lug nuts.
Any exhaust parts that will someday be removed.

Remember, a little goes a long way.

Anti-Seize.jpeg