HS40 Question about converting from points to electronic ignition

I know little about engines but am going to try over the winter to get it running good.
I recently scored an HS40 motor with lighted coil. Idles but won't run under throttle.
If I convert it from points to electronic ignition, wouldl the headlights still work? Or should I just replace Coil Points and condenser?

Thanks In advance!

Picnic Boy

If it idles but doesn't run under throttle, it's more likely a carb issue than points.

As for Electronic conversion.... they make a module that replaces the condenser with a electronic circuit that reduces current flow thru the points and makes them last for a very long time. Just a wipe with sand paper every once and a while. That module would keep the lighting circuit in place. Note: those modules do not work on the ignition systems that use a battery to run the ignition.

If you are talking ripping out the entire points & coil setup, and putting in a new style ignition, please understand that also means replacing flywheel as the coil gets mounted on the outside and the magnets are different. And, chances are, the engine block does not have the cast in bosses that hold the coil. Replacement block have them, and the Solid-State engine blocks have bosses (not always drilled out) where the points assembly goes. Basically, the new blocks have the old stuff abiltiy, but the old blocks don't have the new stuff.

OK thanks for your reply and for the info, good to know... I'll keep it original for now. It starts easy and the Lights work, I had it running again the other day... just cuts out when throttle applied. The bike came with a new carb installed along with the original.. Could it be a gasket or vaccume problem? The bike was covered in oil, I cleaned the engine and can't see any leaks... Thinking of replacing Head Gasket as next step...

mustangfrank

OK thanks for your reply and for the info, good to know... I'll keep it original for now. It starts easy and the Lights work, I had it running again the other day... just cuts out when throttle applied. The bike came with a new carb installed along with the original.. Could it be a gasket or vaccume problem? The bike was covered in oil, I cleaned the engine and can't see any leaks... Thinking of replacing Head Gasket as next step...
Sounds like a carb adjustment issue if it's a new carb, doesn't take long for gas to go bad and clog up a main jet though.

You know turning those little screws really works wonders! I assumed the person I bought it from had adjusted the carb properly. Thanks for your guidance.... It's not running great but it's getting closer!