HS40 timing marks?

copyman

Hi,

Putting this HS40 back together after rebuild and just wanted to confirm the timing marks are correct? All the HS40's I've rebuilt the line on Cam gear will line up with the punch mark on crank gear. This one is off (see pic). Maybe just a factory mistake with the line? Didn't notice when I took apart or would have put my own marks on it. Thanks in advance DSCF2360.JPG

I used pinrepair.com as a guide when I put my hs40 back together just to be on the safe side and make sure I didn’t miss anything. It’s an excellent resource as he has built/modified many engines. The picture on there shows it exactly like yours. IMG_4864.png

When I was a kid back in the 70's I tried advancing & retarding cam timing by one tooth.
Started and ran, but not much difference from stock.
Also tried the lighter flywheel from a rotary lawn mower. That made a difference in acceleration, but really hard to get running.

copyman

Thanks for the replies. Just in case someone else runs into the cam mark line being off a little, the way I have lined up in OP picture is correct. This was confirmed by one of the best small engine rebuilders I know. He said he has seen the cam mark off a few times in the past.