hssk40 Muffler

I have removed the boxy stock muffler that is held on with two bolts...I see the port is not threaded...Question...can it be threaded so a straight style muffler can be screwed in? If not any ideas on how to put a more mini bike-ish muffler on this snow king?

markus

I have yet to get an HS40 block new enough I guess to not be threaded so I can't safely say that it can be tapped, but looking at even the late model (late 80's early 90's) blocks that I do have here that are factory threaded show to have plenty of meat around the port to work with, unlike the late HS50's. Remember its NPT threads.

Tecumseh did make a "repair flange" kit if existing threads were to get damaged, For the HS40 size it was part number 730163, It is a thick bolt on flange that is matched to the port with the NPT threads in it and also came with gasket and correct sized philister heads/lockwashers.

I have one if you really wanted to go that route $16.99 shipped in the US:

If its for your Rupp in your avatar though, you can use a header they made specifically for the black widow if you still wanted to retain the original muffler system that Rupp used on the HS40's. the bonus is it opens up the exhaust a little. I used one on a 1970 roadster survivor that had been dropped on the left side at one time which in turn messed up the orginal thread in header and blew out the threads.

I noted that in the thread I did about that bike:
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/1970-rupp-roadster-matching-numbers.80082/
, I used an original BW header I had off one I parted out, but I believe that blackwidowmotorsports does replicate them.

Just to note, in the Daves thread above, the metal flange he has linked is actually for an H50 sized engine, and will not come anywhere near fitting any of the "small frame" engines.