I bought a murray track 2 that needs a engine.

What I want out of the bike is to be able to do light trail riding in the woods. It would be nice if it was geared low enough to pull a wheelie at low speeds easily. Last I would like a top speed of say 40mph.

I get so confused about which clone setup to buy. I was looking on OldMiniBikes.com at the Race Ready Dupor Box Stock 196cc OHV Engine. It might be a little over kill? I also wonder why no billet rod at 6100rpm or flywheel? Maybe on these engines thats not a issue since they are made for ARC? I could buy a predator? I may eventually add a torque converter. Just not in the budget. Let me know what you think and what clutch I should run?

With my current gears..
Rear T72
Front T12
RPM 6100
Tire 16
Top Speed 48.3mph

I would get the dupor. Ad an ARC rod, flywheel and some valve springs maybe a cam. If you wont some top end and low end grunt too. You will need a converter

Keep the large rear sprocket if you want to do trail riding. I believe my manco thunderbird is 72t rear 10t front, it can go just about anywhere and climb relatively steep piles of dirt with ease. All I'm running is a stock clone motor. I may have 275 or so into the entire bike and I'm glad I didn't spend a lot more. It gets beat on pretty good.

Sent from my Ally

I paid a little too much for mine$150 and its beat and rigged. I figure if I go a little crazy and buy a built dupor with the minibike linkage cam/springs/ carb bores/flywheel/rod for $400 then another $200 for a torque converter. So $600 seems like It should do what I want:) Or maybe get a clone blue or predator and throw a torque converter and have $350. Leaving governor installed. Later I can hop it up. I wonder what you think of the 72/10 setup? Mine does not run. Would I need to adapt something to change the rear sprocket? Starts to get to the point I could buy a cr65 or something:) Cause the brakes still will suck:) (Friction) With your setup can you pull a wheelie?

wheelies with mine.....from a dead stop not so much, from a slow roll it will pull a wheelie easily. with the 72t/10t it does around 40mph, clocked by riding next to a friends car. i have never measured the diameter but the tires are knobby 4.0x8. my bike uses a 420 pitch chain. no torque converter, just hooked up to the motor with a centrifugal clutch.

i am not sure but i think the track 2 uses a 35 pitch chain. your results may vary. I would probably take advice from someone who actually has a track 2 rather than me lol :laugh:

like these guys
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/groups/murray+track+2+owner's+group.html

cpu77,
You buy yours off of Clist? I seen one on there a while back and the guy wanted like $225for it and said that the motor lost spark, had a 5hp briggs on it. Bike looked pretty decent from what i could tell. Anyway, Congrats on the bike those are a neat looking setup!

wheelies with mine.....from a dead stop not so much, from a slow roll it will pull a wheelie easily. with the 72t/10t it does around 40mph, clocked by riding next to a friends car. i have never measured the diameter but the tires are knobby 4.0x8. my bike uses a 420 pitch chain. no torque converter, just hooked up to the motor with a centrifugal clutch.

i am not sure but i think the track 2 uses a 35 pitch chain. your results may vary. I would probably take advice from someone who actually has a track 2 rather than me lol :laugh:

like these guys
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/groups/murray+track+2+owner's+group.html
In it's stock configuration, it uses 41 pitch chain/sprocket

Big Jim

You want bottom end? Save your $$ from that fancy motor crap, it will still be a clone, and get a TAV. You will never be happy with a chain clutch setup.

Stock clone, drilled jet, header, air filter. I will go right out from under you....

What I want out of the bike is to be able to do light trail riding in the woods. It would be nice if it was geared low enough to pull a wheelie at low speeds easily. Last I would like a top speed of say 40mph.

I would say just throw a motor on it. If you feel you need a tav after that then add it later. I think with this gearing its not really necessary.

Sent from my Ally

Big Jim

How much do you weigh? I am NOT small. Clutches are fine for "average" weight people. I have been less that pleased with most of the "cheaper" clutches out there. I assume if I spent more than $50 I might stand corrected.

I like having variable speed and torque. If you are trail riding some may be level some maybe hilly.
Think it through.
Put a clutch on it for now then if you need to change it, get an engine wedge, slide the motor over to the other slots, put on a TAV shorten the chain and be on your way.

Big Jim
I weigh about 190lb. I bought the predator. Now I am thing of buying a Yellow box motor and returning the Predator and the parts I bought for it. I really dont know what to do! BTW Comet is out of business right? So who will sell the Torque Converts once stock is gone?

toomanytoys

Big Jim
I weigh about 190lb. I bought the predator. Now I am thing of buying a Yellow box motor and returning the Predator and the parts I bought for it. I really dont know what to do! BTW Comet is out of business right? So who will sell the Torque Converts once stock is gone?
You can still buy comet torques.

Comet Industries Torque Converter Kit — 10 Tooth, 3/4in. Bore | Torque Converters + Components | Northern Tool + Equipment

Ships in 2-5 business days.

For trail riding a TAV is the only way to go. I weigh between 180-200 lbs, depending on the time of the year, and I just am never happy with a standard clutch. It just doesn't do it for me.