Isn't this a Rupp TT or Continental?

Just picked this up this evening. I know it's wrong seat, wrong shocks, wrong engine, wrong after-the-fact footpeg bar, band brake instead of rear drum, no chainguard, lots of other things (not original paint), but I think wheels original, frame overall really nice, and those Carlisle tires hold air dispite all the issues. If not a Rupp, what is this?

Attachments

mustangfrank

Just picked this up this evening. I know it's wrong seat, wrong shocks, wrong engine, wrong after-the-fact footpeg bar, band brake instead of rear drum, no chainguard, lots of other things (not original paint), but I think wheels original, frame overall really nice, and those Carlisle tires hold air dispite all the issues. If not a Rupp, what is this?
Started out life as a 1967 Rupp Continental, not too far from original.

Just how big are you; are you Andre the Giant size? :)

Classic minibikes were designed by and for adult men and women--only later did they obviously appeal to kids.
i'm pretty sure you know that, but ehh.
Well, yeah, the mini bike has deep roots well before the baby boom, but by the late 60s they were marketed towards all us boomer kids. I'm 250 and trying to get 3 hp to carry that with just a centrifugal clutch is asking a lot, I think, but it did carry and propel me. I just want to get my Speedway Shrike going - between the torque converter and the larger 10" wheels I feel much better cruising the streets.

Any tips on how I can revive these wheels? I'm asking the previous owner what he sprayed them with and if he did it as a single unit or with the rims apart. Any thoughts on getting pain off these wheels - media blast, I suppose? IMG_1557.jpg IMG_1553.jpg

mustangfrank

Any tips on how I can revive these wheels? I'm asking the previous owner what he sprayed them with and if he did it as a single unit or with the rims apart. Any thoughts on getting pain off these wheels - media blast, I suppose? View attachment 280003 View attachment 280004
Doubt they were ever apart based on the chunky rust they painted over. I would break them down and blast them, plan on new screws/studs and acorn nuts unless you get lucky.

I've got one I want to fit taller 5.30 tires for a little more sidewall and gearing, based on pics, I think @ole4 just confirmed my suspicion that flipping the rear fender brace to under the fender will be enough to run them.

Doubt they were ever apart based on the chunky rust they painted over. I would break them down and blast them, plan on new screws/studs and acorn nuts unless you get lucky.

I've got one I want to fit taller 5.30 tires for a little more sidewall and gearing, based on pics, I think @ole4 just confirmed my suspicion that flipping the rear fender brace to under the fender will be enough to run them.
I'm thinking it might be one of those heat resistant paints that kind of goes on textured like that as opposed to rust- he used that paint on the engine, I know for sure. I got a message in to him now to see what he used and if he had broken them down. the fact the paint is over the bolts, I doubt he broke them down, but he seemed like a pretty meticulous guy so he may have just painted the bolts along with the parts - we'll find out soon enough.
UPDATE: Rustoleum over the wheel, not taken apart. Dang it.

To tell the truth, if I can get a decent offer for it, I may let this be a project for someone else.

Last edited:

Harquebus

To tell the truth, if I can get a decent offer for it, I may let this be a project for someone else.
Well, it IS one of the Holy Grail minibikes, or at least the Holy Grail brand {Rupp}. See if you can strip the wheels to reveal the aluminum "turbines" and assess the chromed steel wheel halves...or pass it on. Those wheels are the big thing though--everyone wants the original wheels at the very least.

Just picked this up this evening.
Seems to be an influx of these tiny orange mini bikes.
Cool that I has true rear suspension, but it doesn't pivot at the drive gear, does it have a sprung tensioner?
where the pivot is (IMO) the chain would loosen over every bump.

Anyway, never mind that, the important thing is, is that I have the exact same hardware store pipe connector holding the same muffler that I have on my bike.

mustangfrank

Seems to be an influx of these tiny orange mini bikes.
Cool that I has true rear suspension, but it doesn't pivot at the drive gear, does it have a sprung tensioner?
where the pivot is (IMO) the chain would loosen over every bump.

Anyway, never mind that, the important thing is, is that I have the exact same hardware store pipe connector holding the same muffler that I have on my bike.
They did have a sprung tensioner with a nylon(?) roller. Oddly the 66 model had a jackshaft, they dropped it for 67 and then 68 and up had a jackshaft again. Can't figure out the logic in that production line change.

Well, it IS one of the Holy Grail minibikes, or at least the Holy Grail brand {Rupp}. See if you can strip the wheels to reveal the aluminum "turbines" and assess the chromed steel wheel halves...or pass it on. Those wheels are the big thing though--everyone wants the original wheels at the very least.
Yeah - I wanted one for so long, but my priority has been on my Speedway and this may become another drain on ever getting that done. However, it's a heck of a great drain to be distracted by. I couldn't believe it when I saw it and I debated for a bit about getting it, but I knew if I didn't it would sell quickly. So I figured, just get it - it'll always have value.

Harquebus

...I couldn't believe it when I saw it and I debated for a bit about getting it, but I knew if I didn't it would sell quickly. So I figured, just get it - it'll always have value.
I found mine, a Continental, for $60 (4 years ago?) but didn't know what it was until researching here. I knew it had Rupp wheels though, from the go kart side of things.

Just put it on the back burner.