It's a Fox, but which one?

Hi guys,

I picked up this lil' beauty today. It was sold as a Fox Trail Bug, but it has a front suspension like a Doodle Bug. Yet it has a jackshaft in it, like a Trail Bug.

It has an early build Tec HS40 engine, original?

All that's left of the fork decal is "ug"

So what's your guess, is this a crossbreed "Trail Doodle?"

This will be a resto project for my grandkids to enjoy.
(If they can get grampy off of it!)

A friend of mine has a Trail Bug with the front springs as well:thumbsup:

I have three of those frames and they all have the jackshaft mounts.

That motor looks like a newer (1980s on up) one judging by the decal and the throttle control. Plus the shroud is larger so it probably has electronic ignition.

My guess is Trail Bug:thumbsup:

Scottessey

I have one brochure from Fox that has a parts list. I know this is only one brochure and only therefore only a snapshot of what they had available. In the parts list it shows that the doodlebug came with front suspension, and the trailbug required an alternate set of forks that were a one piece fork/handle bar with no suspension. What stumps me though, is that yours look like one piece, yet they have suspension?? The doodles that have the two-piece set up, forks and handlebars are separate, also had a head knob, or "Jesus nut" on the top of the forks like this. The Doodlebugs had jackshaft mounts as well. Most of this info, I'm gathering from the parts lists that I have, but like I said, it's just a shapshot. Different years could have different variations.

Btw...If you'd like new Fox Footpegs, let me know. I make them. See here. Mark, did you get yours in the mail yet?

Hope this helps.

Scottessey

Thanks for the info guys.

I just had a good look at the fork/handlebars and it looks like they WILL split.

At the moment, it's going to take some penetrating oil to get them seperated.

No Jesus nut on mine, just a regular old 5/8 fine thread nut.

I'm tickled to find this feature, it'll make hauling this baby around much easier in my mini-Blazer.

So, it's looking like a Doodle Bug with a jackshaft installed...

Here's a few pics of the fork/ handlebar area.

p.s. Scottessey sent you a PM

Ahhh, you have much to learn young grasshopper. The Fox you have is (without question) a Doodle Bug! Now I know that you are asking yourself: Master Ogy, what makes you so sure? The answer my friend can be found in the g on the sticker. The Trail Bug used a more formal g and the Doodle Bug used a fancy curly type of g like the one on your sticker. And now Master Ogy must return to his workshop to further ponder the mysteries of the Fox Minibike.

Scottessey

Ahhh, you have much to learn young grasshopper. The Fox you have is (without question) a Doodle Bug! Now I know that you are asking yourself: Master Ogy, what makes you so sure? The answer my friend can be found in the g on the sticker. The Trail Bug used a more formal g and the Doodle Bug used a fancy curly type of g like the one on your sticker. And now Master Ogy must return to his workshop to further ponder the mysteries of the Fox Minibike.
Hah! :laugh: Awesome observation, Ogy-wan!

Last edited: