Kohler Generator

rmm727

Fired up my old Kohler generator today (1954?). L600 12.5hp flathead liquid-cooled 4 cylinder engine directly coupled to a 3.5kw generator which also serves as the starter. This was originally setup for natural gas and I still have the items to swap it back over. To start it with a car battery you simply connect it to a battery and flip a switch. The generator will start the engine and then switch over and start producing electricity. I had to disconnect a wire to the magneto and that allowed my start it with the hand crank.

Please excuse my heavy breathing in the video as I'm stuffed up because of allergies.

The screeching sound toward the end of the video is the hay baler. They were making hay in the background.

WOW WHAT A FIND!!!!!

You have something there thats worth keeping.

Sounds like some tuning mighth be reaquire and governer adjustements.
I would look pver the brushes com clean as required .

Then I would put the NG kit back in it and mount it in an outbuilding on a nice cement foundation block.
A unit like that would serve you well for the rest of your life in back up duty.

rmm727

Thanks NOS, that means a lot coming from you.

The governor only seems to do that when it doesnt have a steady supply of fuel. I didn't have much fuel in the bottom of that fuel container so I imagine the hose wasn't entirely submerged. I had a DMM on it a week ago and it was putting out 120 volts but the gauge on the unit only read 90 volts. The frequency was high (forget what it was) so I may end up messing with the governor anyways.

I never messed with the brushes on this thing. I got it 9-10 years ago, cleaned the carb, and it fired right up on gasoline. I decided to get it out for a show this year (got rained out so that didn't happen) and then got the ambition to figure out how to get it to start with the hand crank (which was the best part about it)

I have free natural gas so I may have to try and put that back on and try it out too.

I can't tell you anything about it.

But the fact its liquid cooled tells me its a higher end unit than most.

You get free gas?
My GOD I would be using it let me tell you.

First thing I would do in your possition is find an old ajax or an FM.
Something compact and I would be running that in a large engine shed to provide suplimental heat and power in the winter.

Damn!!! That's one beautiful generator.

NOS is right, that's probably a lifetime-worthy unit. Liquid cooled, hand crank, and it's just generally ultra-heavy-duty.

That's about as good as it gets. :thumbsup:

rmm727

You get free gas?
My GOD I would be using it let me tell you.
We have a natural gas well on the property so yeah, we get free gas. I have a forced air furnace, gas water heater, gas range, and gas clothes dryer. If the power goes out I have a couple vent free heaters for heat. My water is gravity flow so even in a blackout, I can still take a hot shower. Gotta love the old farm I live on. I would like to get a compressor so I can have a CNG car but those are so much.

This generator only puts out 3.5kw so for its size, its really pretty useless running on gasoline because it drinks fuel from what I've seen. I swear I can what the level go down when I run it out of a fuel container like in the video. Its more cool factor than anything. This thing is over 500lbs. I have a 8hp Briggs generator that puts out the same 3.5kw that I can carry (well, sort of)

Without seeing it in person I can venture a few guesses.
Its should be turning around 1800 rpm, in the video it sounds a little too fast.

Its a flat head and they are all hard on fuel, but free gas means thats not an issue and gas is so much better for these old engines, less wear on internal parts because of fuel contamination and wash out.
But some like these flat heads do like an air oiler to add some top lube, the liner might be a little dry for something that was inteneded to run daily.

I think your fuel consumption has a lot to do with tuning and over speed too.

The Winco mags were a good unit but I would replace it with a modern electronic unit.
Over time the magnets get weak and sometimes they give you trouble.
Guys at engine shows usualy can point you tooa fellow with a magnet charger if the mag gets weak.

Sounds like you have all your bases coverd for gas usuage.
when the Apocolypse comes can I stay at your house lol....

Free natural gas would seal the deal for me, I'd run my cars & EVERYTHING off of it.

I'd personally add an oiler to the intake line, from what I've seen & experienced, propane & natural gas tends to make engines run a little bit hotter (our generator has the NG & LPG fittings). It's really nothing significant, but I don't like putting things through stresses they don't need to endure.

I have one of those propane powered weed trimmers as well (they use the 1lb bottles). Got it off of Amazon, it's actually really a good little machine once set up correctly (the instructions are useless). It's essentially a 4 stroke trimmer adapted to run on propane. Even on the richest setting, it still gets much, MUCH hotter than I would personally feel comfortable with for long periods of time, same as my generator.

Either way, free NG is still one hell of a deal... so why aren't you running your minis on the stuff???????????????????????????????

rmm727

Free natural gas would seal the deal for me, I'd run my cars & EVERYTHING off of it.

I'd personally add an oiler to the intake line....

Either way, free NG is still one hell of a deal... so why aren't you running your minis on the stuff???????????????????????????????
Got a link to an oiler you'd use?

The NG compressor for vehicles is like 5-7k. Just too much for me to front. Plus I'd have to get a vehicle that was set-up for it. Mine all have a bit too many miles. The station in town has CNG at the pumps now though.

The home systems have a major flaw they have no storage.
With the rising cost of CNG in my area I need a home unit but will not buy one with no storage.

If you have some time and willingness to learn you could make a home setup with storage for 2500.