lil Indian numbers????

markus

Just got this one in the other day and want to start working on it. couple of oddities I think on it, wondering if anyone has any insight to the serial numbers that are stamped on the right rear axle.

Some of the things I am finding I would venture to say it may have been a bare frame kit bike version, or it was changed before paint to work with a jackshaft. I am going out on a limb and thinking its a 1968 but I am not really sure, the tires are both date coded june of 1967 they are the fatter 10.5 size. Headtube is skinnier than the later bikes (I think) and has the thin odball bushings, decal is triangle Livonia, MI location.

Thanks for any insight.

Jamie1972

I know there's 5 numbers there, the second one is very faintly stamped.
My 68 model 400 is stamped the same way....

I'll text the man himself...

Last edited:
It's very interesting Markus. I've been watching serial numbers for several years now and yours is the first one of this type I personally have seen. I'm not sure Jamie is saying that his bike is stamped in the same place or is similar in numbers since he has never posted them so as far as I know yours is the first like this that I know of. Most every number I have is 5 digits and not always on the right side axle strap. There were a couple on the left side engine plate near the rear as well. As Jamie mentioned though, there doesn't seem to be a method to it perfectly but I've seen a larger number lining up according to the model year. It's been a real task accumulating the numbers and any original information about the bikes but I've been doing my best to keep up with it. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to put a time line together from everything. It can definitely be narrowed down by the characteristics especially with your new chassis. Being a Briggs 2-speed, they were only made for a few years. The original promo shot of the 2-speed engine was from 1965 I think and then the Model 600 bike was in at least 3 catalogs from somewhere in the '66 to '68 range as near as I can tell. I hope it helps a little.

Thank you for sharing the number by the way! It helps me narrow things down a little bit at a time on these bikes.

Like I have always said...Ruttmans and Lil Indians...the numbers mean nothing really. Except on the chrome bikes.

Last edited:
That's interesting Gary, I had yours at 24163 from a while back. I looked at a couple other pictures you had posted of the serial number and it looked like a 3 however when I looked at these my first impression was a 2. Now I'm not sure. I'll go with what you had said.

Bill, even though the general consensus is that the number mean nothing, I'm still finding it very interesting logging them as they come up. There are definitely some discrepancies apparent but there are some sequential bikes that make sense also. In any case, I'm still happy to add them to the list I have when they come up.

Well the last number could be a 3 and it was stamped crooked with the top hit harder so a 2 or a 3 it could be. The frame is in storage and way to the rear of the unit. I will try to get a picture next time I go there. What could be the difference made before lunch or after lunch is all!!

That's interesting Gary, I had yours at 24163 from a while back. I looked at a couple other pictures you had posted of the serial number and it looked like a 3 however when I looked at these my first impression was a 2. Now I'm not sure. I'll go with what you had said.

Bill, even though the general consensus is that the number mean nothing, I'm still finding it very interesting logging them as they come up. There are definitely some discrepancies apparent but there are some sequential bikes that make sense also. In any case, I'm still happy to add them to the list I have when they come up.
That was from Ray's own mouth...so I will take his word for it since he was an original brother. lol

That was from Ray's own mouth...so I will take his word for it since he was an original brother. lol
I have no problem with that Bill nor am I doubting the info from Ray that you received. The numbers have a value to me however and that would be that it is how I log them. If I don't have a number, then I have to use any identification characteristics and I've found myself doubling up already. There was one on here that a member was going to restore only to break it apart and sell it on eBay to which the purchaser (also a member) posted the number and I was able to see that it was the same frame from something that was still attached to it. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was doubting what you were saying Bill, it wasn't meant that way. I'd love to make the trek and talk to Ray some day as I'm sure he'd fill in a bunch of blanks in my note book.

I have no problem with that Bill nor am I doubting the info from Ray that you received. The numbers have a value to me however and that would be that it is how I log them. If I don't have a number, then I have to use any identification characteristics and I've found myself doubling up already. There was one on here that a member was going to restore only to break it apart and sell it on eBay to which the purchaser (also a member) posted the number and I was able to see that it was the same frame from something that was still attached to it. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was doubting what you were saying Bill, it wasn't meant that way. I'd love to make the trek and talk to Ray some day as I'm sure he'd fill in a bunch of blanks in my note book.
We are good...I totally understand what you are doing and saying.:thumbsup:

Ajax, You will see here that I cannot get to the Orange Lil Indian as it is way in the back of storage and I cannot walk there with out moving items out. There are 2 more Lil Indians in the rear too. GM
Thanks Gary but absolutely no hurry. I actually tried to reply to you yesterday and got called into a meeting thus losing my message since I closed the wrong window. I'll send again later today. Your garage looks a lot like mine, LOL! Just replace the coupe with an A Pickup and we're mirrored.