Little help over here please.

I74

Ok. So I got the carb kit and installed all the parts. Got the bike running. Started pretty easily actually. It would idle well but would die when I gave it throttle. After adjusting carb I Got it running fairly well but had no power to the rear. So I took that all apart cleaned up and back on. After, I noticed the carb is leaking fuel out the choke hole. So its full. I soaked up as much as I could and let it sit overnight but now I can't get it to start. It just floods when I turn the gas on. Diaphragm and gasket are installed properly, no F on carb. Why is it leaking gas?

Edit: Well things have transpired, possibly for the worse. I noticed the connection from the head to the exhaust seemed wet. At about the same time I saw a drip come from the screw that is on the bottom of the exhaust. I am pretty sure this is all gas. I drained the oil, which did not seem to have any gas in it but was super black considering I just changed it. Pulled the plug. Now what? If only I would have utilized the new shut off valve on the new petcock I installed I most likely could have avoided some of this.

Is that carb kit out of chiner ?

I74

Ordered from black widow motor sports.
1#34761T TECUMSEH CARB REBUILD KIT- Diaphram Type

Did you put the diaphragm gasket on correct ?

Been 'many'' years since I rebuilt one of those,, but do remember that it's very important in having the diaphragm gasket on ''I believe'' the cover side.

Not 100% on that , but seem to remember them being that way ...

Course, I've done ''a lot'' of different types of diaphragm carbs over the years ….

Pretty much forgot more than most people will ever learn about mechanical stuff ect. though.. :eek:

LOL

Last edited:
Did you put the diaphragm gasket on correct ?

Been 'many'' years since I rebuilt one of those,, but do remember that it's very important in having the diaphragm gasket on ''I believe'' the cover side.

Not 100% on that , but seem to remember them being that way ...

Course, I've done ''a lot'' of different types of diaphragm carbs over the years ….

Pretty much forgot more than most people will ever learn about mechanical stuff ect. though.. :eek:

LOL
I believe I did install correctly. I made sure to follow the manual.

Ok. So I got the carb kit and installed all the parts. Got the bike running. Started pretty easily actually. It would idle well but would die when I gave it throttle. After adjusting carb I Got it running fairly well but had no power to the rear. So I took that all apart cleaned up and back on. After, I noticed the carb is leaking fuel out the choke hole. So its full. I soaked up as much as I could and let it sit overnight but now I can't get it to start. It just floods when I turn the gas on. Diaphragm and gasket are installed properly, no F on carb. Why is it leaking gas?

Edit: Well things have transpired, possibly for the worse. I noticed the connection from the head to the exhaust seemed wet. At about the same time I saw a drip come from the screw that is on the bottom of the exhaust. I am pretty sure this is all gas. I drained the oil, which did not seem to have any gas in it but was super black considering I just changed it. Pulled the plug. Now what? If only I would have utilized the new shut off valve on the new petcock I installed I most likely could have avoided some of this.
From what I gather you are either leaking gas out of the tank, petcock, or fuel line (check clamps). Or if the oil is over-filled you could force it out of the head gasket or crank breather. About 2/3 of a quart is all you need. Not sure what your carb issue is, but recommend watching carb tuning videos and retracing your steps.

From what I gather you are either leaking gas out of the tank, petcock, or fuel line (check clamps). Or if the oil is over-filled you could force it out of the head gasket or crank breather. About 2/3 of a quart is all you need. Not sure what your carb issue is, but recommend watching carb tuning videos and retracing your steps.
If I turn the gas on it will eventually start flowing out the choke side of the carb, with the air filter off I can see it. So the carb is filling up with gas. Oil was just under the full line. I'm gonna pull the carb apart again at some point but not sure what issue I should be looking for. Thanks for the reply.

Personally, I would ditch that diaphragm carb and install a bowl-type carb (also advised by other members in some of your replies). This will get you up and running (Read: RIDING) and put an end to the frustration. You can get an aftermarket China-made one for the Tec HS-40 on eBay real cheap. (Full Disclosure: SOME of the ones I have bought (maybe 25%) were "duds" and did not work correctly and/or they leaked- but you are getting them so cheap it is no big $$ loss and worth taking your chances and you will eventually get a good one. I have never had much success getting these Tec diaphragm carbs to run correctly, and I beleive that the bowl type carb design offer a little better performance over its diaphragm design counterpart.
Michael

Personally, I would ditch that diaphragm carb and install a bowl-type carb (also advised by other members in some of your replies). This will get you up and running (Read: RIDING) and put an end to the frustration. You can get an aftermarket China-made one for the Tec HS-40 on eBay real cheap. (Full Disclosure: SOME of the ones I have bought (maybe 25%) were "duds" and did not work correctly and/or they leaked- but you are getting them so cheap it is no big $$ loss and worth taking your chances and you will eventually get a good one. I have never had much success getting these Tec diaphragm carbs to run correctly, and I beleive that the bowl type carb design offer a little better performance over its diaphragm design counterpart.
Michael
I appreciate your input and that may be the direction I am headed now. I like to keep things original if possible, so trying to use the diaphragm carb was more of a "it's original" sort of thing. Thanks.