Making your own forks

These things are usually made of 7/8 tubing, and the way I see it, there are basically two major problems most of us would have in attempting this. The first is the triple trees. These are usually made of 3/16 plate, which I would probably suggest making out of cold rolled stock. Luckily, I have a friend who happens to run a small machine shop. He says, give him (or a guy like him) a drawing of what you want, including accurate dimensions with the radius of the curves and he can simply program this into his small CNC machine and make these no problem. The beauty of this is the flexibilty of design you have with respect to things like tube spacing.

The second problem is the axle mounts. Here's where I had to do a little homework. One solution I thought might work would be to use something like these tie rod ends:

JEGS Performance Products 64157 JEGS Rod Ends with Jam Nuts

Now if you were to use 7/8 tubing with a .120 wall (thick enough to help prevent fork bending) you'd find the inside dimension of this tube is .635". Since the Jegs ends are .75" threads you would simply drill-out the ends of the fork tubing (only to the depth of the threads) to accommodate these and simply weld in place. I'm thinking a suggestion here would be to first drill 1/64 *less* than 3/4" first to possibly get a tighter fit.

Oh yeah, one more thing about the trees: I know it may cost a few bucks more to have a machine shop make these but keep in mind that these guys work with very close tolerances. Another good idea if you go this way is to have that fork bolt is hand so that the machinist can accurately "mic it". This could mean the difference between a tight or sloppy front end. :thumbsup:

All the best, Sunny

Hi rob: How do you do your axle mounts? I ask since I'm not a big fan of crushing the tubing ends and drilling. Doing that seems to require much thinner tubing. Additionally, unless it's machine made with a die like the Indians or Rupps (to me at least) it always seems to look "hacked".

Brooklyn Bob

Some guy was making frontends for motorcycles by crushing the tubing ends and just drilling. I sure in the hell wouldn't want to be on a motorcyle traveling down the expressway when that frontend comes apart.

Hey SunnyK I have made my mounts a couple of ways
Flatening the tube in a press
Notching the bottom and welding on a bushing
Welding on a piece of flat bar with the hole in it
I do like the idea of welding in a heim style joint

Sunny, I made ten complete front ends for my Fox Campus restorations. Handlebars, triple trees, telescoping suspension, and the lower forks. 7/8" tubing with a .083" wall is more than adequate. I've attached a couple of pics of process that I used to make the lower fork tubes which are exact reproductions of the Fox originals. Ogy

Attachments

Ogy, thanks for the pics. Great idea..........drill rather than notch. Why didn't I think of that? :doah: Still kinda like the looks of those Jegs tie rod ends though.

Sunny