Manco T-Bird project

07D675

I put my other project on hold and started this one. I was able to tear it down, sand the parts, degrease the frame and prime the stuff. I got lucky one day when it was warm for a few hours so I took it all in the yard to spray, then hung the stuff in my basement to cure. Here are some pics of my progress. It seems to be going quick so far and the colors look pretty good together. :thumbsup:
before

stages of assembly follow:

07D675

Well, I got a little free time tonight and worked on the throttle connection and mounted the engine on the frame, loosely mounted the front fender and slipped on the clutch just for the photo shoot. I really hate the fenders on this thing. I have 2 steel fenders for another bike but ordered 2 last night for something else. I might just paint them and put them on this one. It would look alot better with steel fenders IMO. What do you think? Might just try a bobber type seat also.
Sorry , but I forgot the "Oldminibikes.com" sign...

Last edited:
I think steel fenders would be the way to go. Those frames have a nice shape. It would look great with flat steel fenders, a Mustang tank and a sprung solo seat. The stock seats kind of look like a deformed barstool seat.

07D675

I think steel fenders would be the way to go. Those frames have a nice shape. It would look great with flat steel fenders, a Mustang tank and a sprung solo seat. The stock seats kind of look like a deformed barstool seat.
Looking good! Like those colors-Where's the "WOOD"?
plastic fenders = trash can...something youd see on a pocket bike
Hey Jimh, I have the original tank but I want it for my Bird Build unless I can find another. Not having much luck, and it's about 50 bucks or more for the manco tank.:thefinger:
Jleon, I think the "WOOD" will come when the weather gets warm and I finally ride this thing...:thumbsup:
kbs8ball, I agree! Those fenders don't even follow the profile of the tire. You listening Manco CEO?! :eek:ut:

While your in there

LOL, I'm going through the same project. Bought the roller off Bearcamp while I was buying his Suzuki Trail Hopper. In the process of gathering parts for the Hopper, I started to throw the Manco together just to get it working and then the "while I'm in there" syndrome came over me, so it's now getting a complete make over. Bought the Wen 6.5HP motor from Pep Boys and the mounting holes chain alignment were perfect. But the bigger motor extended out too much on the left side and obscured the foot peg. So I fabricated some folding foot pegs using .75" tubing and .125" flat stock which I formed in to a "C" channel and welded to the frame. As some have mentioned here, the plastic fenders had to go, so I found a set of new chrome Rupp clone fenders on e-bay for 14 bucks which, with a little massaging of the front fender to clear the fork, followed the 8" rim radius pefectly. The rear only required a fabricated bracket. Then after all this consideration and work, how could I let the scrub brakes go untouched? Well after doing a bunch of research, none of the aftermarket drum brakes would work with the Manco rims, the clutch brake system looked like it would degrade the clutch too much, and the disc brakes could mount to the rear sprocket, but the chain grease may make that less effective. Then I found two Hopper parts bikes with good wheels and brakes, with some minor fabrication, they fitted perfectly and the stock Suzuki sprocket worked with the 420 chain. The sprocket is much smaller than the stock Manco, and I may re-drill the Manco spocket to fit, but I think I might try the smaller spocket first. May just turn out to be a wheelie bike, but we'll see. Bought a set of Rupp clone brake levers and cables off e-bay for 20 bucks, and the system was complete (gotta love e-bay). The seat was the final upgrade. Yes, not only does it look like a distorted bar stool, it wobbled like crazy due to the way it was designed. I cut out the .75" round tubing and replaced it with a .75" square tube. Welded the brackets back on and reinforced the two tabs on the frame that holds the front of the assembly. The square tube sits in the slot and now has no play. I'm making a proper looking seat and all the excessive brackets and scrub brakes have been cut off. Soon as I get the frame back from the powder coaters, I'll put it together and post some pictures. Funny how we all go down the same slippery slope, good luck Allan PS here's a picture which started it all, after fitting the motor, the engineering jucies started to flow.

07D675

I know what you mean about the seat wobbling! I tightened the heck out of the bolt in the front and the seat seems more stable now.
I threw a seat together real quick and sort of "gift wrapped" the vinyl on it. Does'nt look bad but I've seen worse. I just want to try to finish it before I get parts for my other project. I have some steel fender for it which fit the tire profile nicely, Just have to notch the front one around the fork springs.
I may also do something with the footpegs. I was thinking about just slipping some larger tubing over the old ones and tach-weld them on. We'll see how they feel when I ride it before I make up my mind.

Ok, here's some more progress pics. I made a seat the other night and installed it, secured the clutch with crank bolt AND set screw. I installed the chain once I got the length correct. The white # plate on the front is cut from 1/8" ABS I had lying around. I might try to make a clutch/chain guard out of the same stuff. It's pretty heavy stuff and easy to cut. I should be able to glass over it to make it stronger and smooth the edges. The tank is'nt staying, I need it for my Bird Nighthawk unless I find another.

Last edited:
Ready for a test ride...

Well, I'm at the point in the project where all I need to do is fill the tank, fire up the engine and let it warm up, and take it for a test ride. I don't want to say it's complete yet because I may add a chain tensioner and a tank if I can find one. I have the tank from this one but want to use it on my Nighthawk. It's a cooler mini!!!:thumbsup: Anyway I'll say it's 99% done at this point. Need to make sure there are no bugs to work out. I was'nt going to use the plastic fenders either, but this thing isn't gonna win any prizes and it's going to be my pit bike for this years track days so wtf...
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I'll post some more pics when I take it outside to ride it...

Last edited:
Looks good. :thumbsup: What about painting the red parts of the engine white? or are you going for red white and blue? If so, you need some flag stickers. :wink:

Is that manco tank painted black or what? what is the inside color? I have one on my bird that is white but would rather have a black one. I am thinking of using some kind of plastic/vinyle dye to change it.
Rob

Looks good. :thumbsup: What about painting the red parts of the engine white? or are you going for red white and blue? If so, you need some flag stickers. :wink:
Thanks GTO... I was going for the R,W,& B look. Might do some red and blue striping on the wheels if I get that ambitious. We'll see
Is that manco tank painted black or what? what is the inside color? I have one on my bird that is white but would rather have a black one. I am thinking of using some kind of plastic/vinyle dye to change it.
Rob
Yes Rob, it's a manco tank that came with this. It's all black inside and out. I'm gonna use it on my Nighthawk. Just need to fab a mounting bracket since the one on this mini was welded on. You can use that "FUSION" paint they make for plastic. I have'nt used it myself but it's supposed to bond to the plastic pretty good. Ask around...

OK, so I brought the bike up from the basement yesterday. It looks like it might be nice enough today to actually fire the engine up and test ride it. Once it's out in the sun and I can step back and take a good long look at it, I may just decide on some changes. Just can't help myself.... Those fenders are killing me!!! Pin-striping the wheels is still on my list of things to do. I was thinking a red and blue stripe right on the rim...Whaddaya think?

Yeah yeah yeah, I knew it was coming...:crying: Let just say it's temporary.
My other mini will have a nicer seat. I have a "prototype" I started but broke the last needle I had so I have to get some new ones. More important things going on right now at home and work. :thumbsup:

07D675

Ok, I fired up the engine on this thing, (pulled it about ten times before my buddy noticed the ignition was off:doah:) and it sounded ok for a cheap engine. Well after warming it up I took it for a ride up the street. I was amazed at the power it has and it pulls pretty good. I'm about 170lbs. and I would guess it went about 30 mph. I slid back on the seat a bit and it felt like it was gonna pull the front off the ground while I was moving. My son was on his Firehawk and I kept slowing down so he could catch up!
Anyway it was a nice warm day and had some fun riding with the boy on a couple minis!!! :thumbsup: