Manco Thunderbird

KMR

I am going to look at a Manco Thunderbird today. Seller says motor runs. Not sure what else it needs. Curious what you think its worth. I know the photo has its limitations.
408E2EE3-2B3C-498F-AEA5-A2EA83AEACFB.png

Last edited:
Is that the only (crappy) photo that the seller is willing to provide you with? I hope you are not making your decision to purchase off that one photo!?
Michael

You have come to the wrong place to ask what something is worth. It is against the rules.
The seller must have told you how much he wants for it. If you can afford it and want it, it doesn't really matter what someone else thinks it is worth. If it makes you happy, then buy it :)
Are you good at fixing things and fabricating parts? if so, then buying a project minibike can be very rewarding.
Welcome to the Madness.
Keep us posted on what you do to it.
You can get parts for them without too much trouble. There is a Wanted section in the forum along with a parts for sale section. Search them and post what you need in Wanted. We can answer other questions for you no problem, just not it is worth.

Danford1

Last edited:

KMR

Sorry about that. Guess I should have read the rules. I went to look at it tonight. Its a bit rough. Back wheel real rusty and front is decent. Strange. It has a motor on it. Kinda looks like a baja motor. Idk. Complete, but looks small. The oil was clean. Pulled it over, motor seemed ok. There was no fuel line to the tank. Has a clutch with sprocket on the outside. It spun free. No chain. Broken throttle cable. Thats about it. So he was asking $90. He would not budge from $70. So I pulled the trigger. Not sure if the motor is worth messing with or may just look to get a predator. The bike is for my 11 year old. So want something he won’t have to tinker with too much. Any idea what chain a stock Manco Thunderbird has?

sonerenos

Stock chain is a 420. I love my t bird. I used a Honda gx140 because it was laying around and basically new. It moves about 35mph and with the pred 212 you'll move even faster. I believe it was danford1 that gave me info on reinforcing my t bird which I haven't done yet but still plan to. I would find that thread on here and read what he had to say. As far as that bike goes, good purchase. You'll have fun. Show us some more pics. Here's my bike.

Thank You,

-Justin.

KMR

Your bike looks great. Color was a good choice.
Do you know how long a chain I need? Also need a throttle cable. Any suggestion on legnth? I will post some pics tomorrow.

sonerenos

Thanks. This is my thrasher bike. I'm in the process of building the batter box and chrome fenders instead of plastic. I'm also going to buy the clutch band brake. I bought a 120L chain and had a few extra links. The throttle cable depends on your build. Mine is really short due to my ARC throttle plate. This link has all your answers.

http://www.bmikarts.com/PDF/Manco/593 operators manual.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

sonerenos

I don't think this was painted but I've only seen these bikes red. Honestly I scored on this bike so I'm not painting it anytime soon. If I did, I'd probably go black or a pearl white. I have 4 purple tacos a orange taco and a red rupp. I need something other than purple haha.

sonerenos

The original pitch was 420 x 115. That is not enough links that you posted. I bought 420 x 120 and have a few extra links taken off.

Thanks danford1 for finding the thread. This has some good info.

No problem. There are many other threads on Thunderbirds. Just use the search feature and read all you can. That is how I found about bracing the engine plate. I read where someone else did it. After I fixed mine, the chain never came off again. I automatically braced it on the next T-Bird I bought.
Have fun.

Danford1

KMR

I took a better look at the motor. Found a sears sticker. I looked up the model # and it appears to be a rebranded Tecumseh H35. I bought a new plug and fuel lines. Hope to get it going. Photos soon

KMR

Dropped the bowl. Fairly clean. Checked the jet. Ran a pin through them. Put it back on and a fuel line. Couple of pulls and started up. Ran decent, no smoke. It studders at full throttle, assume that is the govenor?? I will need to order the Tecumseh speed comtrol bracket 730136A, a throttle cable and chain fir now. Eventually a clutch brake set up.

Get a long cable. You can cut it to the length you need. Pull the outer off and cut it with some diagonal cutters. They cut easy.
After you assemble things and have the inner cable hooked up and everything working, then cut the inner cable with the cutters or a dremel tool with cut off wheel. Put some RTV on the end to keep the wires together when you are done.
I buy and use a lot of these as they are cheap and work well. You will need to cut the little tit end off it to remove the outer cable sleeve.
This one has a 50" cable.
Danford1

https://www.amazon.com/Poweka-Throt...pID=41GYqG85kKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch