manual clutch for horizontal shaft engine

I need to reset the idle. with the old clutch I liked having the idle set very low. It didn't matter cause the clutch would disengage the drivetrain automatically. By the time I disengage it now my rpms are so low, it has a hard time recovering with the idle set like that. also I'll need to swap out the 60t rear sprocket for the original 75t. Hope I have enough chain. I'm gonna hurt this engine if ride it like this, just lugs to the point of stall, and I'm almost always slipping the clutch a little. :shrug: I heard it commin.....ya change one thing and.......ya know
so here is my first ride, and it's a long one but by the end I've improved a lot.
correction 10/16/2013 : I'm going to forget all about that video, please
page down a couple of posts and see the 2nd ride, it's much better.

Last edited:
WOW, what a huge difference...
I swapped out my 60t rear sprocket for the original 75t that came on the Motovox,
then turned the idle up 1/2 turn (dif between a low rumble and running engine ready to rev),
then tuned the idle with the little idle adjustment screw/jet (the one that doesn't do much),
on a ruxing carb. Holy Hallelujah; there is no lug at all, smooooth take-offs, easy to ride,
pop the clutch fast starts, wheelie's are breazy, I did my first smokin burn-out, AND I bump started it too....
Ok, so I didn't jump on it till after it started, but it was a good push bump start. Hahaha!!!
I couldn't be happier! If you have a few things that need changing to get this to work for you,
change 'em. After I calm down I'm gonna make another vid....:innocent: thank you

Mike: Thanks for asking, of course you can...
and here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ktC7IKjrU

Last edited:
I was going to say from the first test ride, it sounded like your bike was geared to do 200 mph. :scooter:

WOW, what a huge difference...
I swapped out my 60t rear sprocket for the original 75t that came on the Motovox,
then turned the idle up 1/2 turn (dif between a low rumble and running engine ready to rev),
then tuned the idle with the little idle adjustment screw/jet (the one that doesn't do much),
it's a ruxing carb. Holy Hallelujah; there is no lug at all, smooooth take-offs, easy to ride,
pop the clutch fast starts, wheelie's are breazy, I did my first smokin burn-out, AND I bump started it too....
Ok, so I didn't jump on it till after it started, but it was a good push bump start. Hahaha!!!
I couldn't be happier! If you have a few things that need changing to get this to work for you,
change 'em. After I calm down I'm gonna make another vid....:innocent: thank you

Mike: Thanks for asking, of course you can...
and here it is...
Mini Bike 2nd ride with the DBR 1 Manual Chutch - YouTube

I was going to say from the first test ride, it sounded like your bike was geared to do 200 mph. :scooter:
Yea, that gear ratio was really a nightmare with the DBR 1, 14" wheels on a Motovox too.
I did that to take the edge off take-offs using a Max Torque 14t & black spring (3100rpm),
and it worked. Just about anyone could ride it. Then, I had the high-end adjustment in the linkage
turned out for myself, it did 53.5mph maximum speed.
I've been waiting to hear from some of the others, sure wish we could see some posts,
pictures and videos. I'll bet Mike and Danny Downs would like to hear from them too...

That seems like a "must have" for this type of clutch, and I would believe that everyone would like to have this option. I would hope that Downs Bros would provide it as standard equipment on their (next) "Generation 2" of this clutch ?
Michael

MB165

Any eta for the guard?
after coming home from a afternoon roadride on my xr600, i got the minibike out before i took my gear off. did some nice wheelies..... my boots are very stiff, i couldnt feel the clutch burn a hole into the side of the boot. alpinstars...:doah:.grumble grumble grumble..... oh well.

It would be easy to mount a standard clutch guard that uses the top two bolts on the PTO bolt pattern, as long as it fits around our clutch. All you need to do is mount the guard first on the engine block. Then shim the clutch as usual (you may only need one less shim now since the guard acts as a shim). Next, measure the thickness of the clutch guard material, and add a washer of identical thickness to the bottom right mounting bolt behind the shims.

I keep checking back in here to see what everyone thinks of their new clutch,
and nothing... Either there are only two or three of us that actually bought one
or everyone else is like, "now that I got one, who the frick are you??":laugh:
frick 'em and forget 'em, right guys :laugh:
I mean really, where are your comments, critiques, reviews...
Did you even get one USPS and if so were you able to get it out of the box?
I'm starting to think the wives intercepted the deliveries, and everyone's grounded from OldMiniBikes/F :thumbsup:

I got mine and it looks great! The plan is to build a whole mini around the Downs Bros. clutch. Got a 5HP Briggs flattie for parts on the way from minibikin' and another stocker 130232 Briggs deal off Ebay. A few guys here had a mini ready to bolt one on, and they seemed real happy.

When I get one of the flatheads running, I will dyno the engine with the manual clutch and get some idea of its slip and hookup. Not trying for big horsepower or methanol, just a cam, flywheel, rod, piston, and carb, running pump gas.

The clutch is very well built, heavy duty construction, and no doubt it will be a hoot to drive.

Jon

I got one but like Inventorpardue, I am building a bike around the clutch. Today made a lot of progress, cant really explain or let loose what I am building yet but it is looking extremely mean already, still in mock up, then powder then install the monster and see how it likes the new clutch.

I keep checking back in here to see what everyone thinks of their new clutch,
and nothing... Either there are only two or three of us that actually bought one
or everyone else is like, "now that I got one, who the frick are you??":laugh:
frick 'em and forget 'em, right guys :laugh:
I mean really, where are your comments, critiques, reviews...
Did you even get one USPS and if so were you able to get it out of the box?
I'm starting to think the wives intercepted the deliveries, and everyone's grounded from OldMiniBikes/F :thumbsup:

I'm totally stoked on my clutch, defiantly worth the money. Still looking for a locking clutch/ brake lever for mine. Can't seem to find one locally.

I haven't put mine on my bike yet, kinda between a move right now. But I will do when I've moved.