manual clutch for horizontal shaft engine

rmm727

I have been lurking on this thread as well. I haven't rode the bike I recently put it on (2nd bike its been on) for over a week. No time to play. I wonder how many were actually sold? Seems like a lot of people backed out.

Side note. I'd like to see someone use this on a stock Warrior with the PMR jackshaft kit so that they'd have #35 chain for the jackshaft chain. Those bikes seem to have plenty of gear that should complement the lockup characteristics of this clutch.

I wonder how many were actually sold? Seems like a lot of people backed out.
I have the video's I made posted on YouTube and I have had comments where
they say they want one too. I hope to direct some business to the site.
So, How about it Danny & Mike. You still got some for sale?

Plunder- Hey thanks for the link. Ill see about that. I'm not too savvy with the PayPal nor really wanting to get all wound up in the eBay thing. I have a friend that is a frequent flyer, so ill give her a call.
I'm told there is a 6-8 day waiting to get money from bank to your PayPal account. A bit ridiculous if I want to order tonight/tomorrow.

Its easier if I could get it locally but like I said no one really has them any more.
If anything I might just make a button for the one I got with the clutch. I have seen a few home-brews out there.

Edit- Plunder, you make a good point about the double bolt vs the single bolt clamp on the lever. I'm probably going to just make a lock for the one I got, I'm not looking forward to undoing all the grips and all the other stuff for this.

Last edited:
We want to thank everyone for posting their reviews, and we are excited to see some of the upcoming builds that you guys are talking about. We have actually sold quite a bit of clutches to the people on this forum, and to other people as well. I'm sure as time goes on we'll start to hear more and more from these people who have seemed to disappear :shrug:

We want to thank everyone for posting their reviews, and we are excited to see some of the upcoming builds that you guys are talking about. We have actually sold quite a bit of clutches to the people on this forum, and to other people as well. I'm sure as time goes on we'll start to hear more and more from these people who have seemed to disappear :shrug:
not gone, just a little ways away from project getting on the road... cant wait... and will get a vid up on my youtube/gtsdesigns soon as i get the bike mocked up and rollin... i have a good following too so you may be getting bombarded with orders from my end... someone else asked if you have a good inventory in stock? also, how are things going with the clutch for the bigger motors, i need one of those too!

before I can report anything I need to get the engine running again as I have completely fowled the entire methanol fuel system ... im working on it ha ha

my clutch arrived shortly after the shipping email.

the video did help quite a bit for installation. i did a dry run
installation on a gx200 and everything worked as expected.

my tiny herd of mini's are all bonanza's so the included 7/8"
hand lever doesn't fit anything i own. but that is a non-issue.

haven't tried the engine plate yet but it doesn't seem like
it would be an issue.

for a first cut mechanical product i say these guys knocked
it out of the ball park even if there are problems that exist or
have yet to show up.

my only question is heat. i plan to run this clutch on my
winter project. has anyone put one of these devices through
it paces with high loads, etc?

has anyone experienced any problems or failures?

when rev 2 of this clutch is available i'll order one just to
be on the cutting edge of minibike technology! :thumbsup:

next DB project: a 2 speed transmission!!!!

my clutch arrived shortly after the shipping email.

the video did help quite a bit for installation. i did a dry run
installation on a gx200 and everything worked as expected.

my tiny herd of mini's are all bonanza's so the included 7/8"
hand lever doesn't fit anything i own. but that is a non-issue.

haven't tried the engine plate yet but it doesn't seem like
it would be an issue.

for a first cut mechanical product i say these guys knocked
it out of the ball park even if there are problems that exist or
have yet to show up.

my only question is heat. i plan to run this clutch on my
winter project. has anyone put one of these devices through
it paces with high loads, etc?

has anyone experienced any problems or failures?

when rev 2 of this clutch is available i'll order one just to
be on the cutting edge of minibike technology! :thumbsup:

next DB project: a 2 speed transmission!!!!
well stated about fits my review at this point too... i too would buy the latest version... :thumbsup:

I may do an experiment running this clutch in series with a torque converter on its jackshaft just to see how it reacts
If you rev a T/C with no load it will change its ratio for top end but if you slam it into engagement it will drop into low and work its way back to high
So would drag times be shorter im not sure I guess it depends on ratio recovery time belt slippage and how much power is robbed
The 1st experiment will be with the sprint and toying with the ratios on the jackshaft

MB165

phil,
After a long ride with quite a bit of slipping, I took a few readings around it with a infrared thermometer. The hottest areas were around 305 F. I spoke with Downs bros about it, they had similar readings during testing. The adhesive and lining is the same as used on brake/ clutch linings. Im not sure of the upper limits but 305 is well within the safe zone.

I may do an experiment running this clutch in series with a torque converter on its jackshaft just to see how it reacts
If you rev a T/C with no load it will change its ratio for top end but if you slam it into engagement it will drop into low and work its way back to high
So would drag times be shorter im not sure I guess it depends on ratio recovery time belt slippage and how much power is robbed
The 1st experiment will be with the sprint and toying with the ratios on the jackshaft
A while ago was looking into manual control of the TAV-2 instead of the RPM-sensitive weights. Having it work in concert with the DBR-1 is an interesting concept, as the TAV is not all that heavy and it certainly improved acceleration (I weigh over 200 lbs.). Will be interested to see what you discover.

Jon

Here is some more info. I will be using a much modified gx390 feeding a duster 94c torque converter with the dbr clutch on the jackshaft transfering power to the rear wheel

Very interesting. We've also been curious about trying our clutch with a T/C and it will be great to see what preliminary results you can come up with. Another thought we had was running our clutch back to a jackshaft with a centrifugal clutch, and possibly create an effect similar to the Rekluse Clutch for motorcycles i.e. can be used as a manual or a centrifugal clutch (Rekluse Core EXP Auto-Clutch).

Please keep us updated with your findings!

phil,
After a long ride with quite a bit of slipping, I took a few readings around it with a infrared thermometer. The hottest areas were around 305 F. I spoke with Downs bros about it, they had similar readings during testing. The adhesive and lining is the same as used on brake/ clutch linings. Im not sure of the upper limits but 305 is well within the safe zone.
that's good data. did you notice any slippage at that temperature? i wouldn't think that 305F is anywhere near the rating of the lining and adhesive.

that's good data. did you notice any slippage at that temperature? i wouldn't think that 305F is anywhere near the rating of the lining and adhesive.
I can't speak for MB165, but we personally have not seen a correlation between heat and fade. The liner is rated for 480 degrees F and the adhesive is rated for 500 degrees F. We're looking into changing the liner material slightly to one that can withstand 500F- it also has 25% increase in the maximum allowable surface speed over what is currently offered.

I can't speak for MB165, but we personally have not seen a correlation between heat and fade. The liner is rated for 480 degrees F and the adhesive is rated for 500 degrees F. We're looking into changing the liner material slightly to one that can withstand 500F- it also has 25% increase in the maximum allowable surface speed over what is currently offered.
design is all about tradeoffs. MB165's measurements show you have a margin of safety of almost 200F. i would leave these materials as is and collect field data in the form of beta test results and field failures. you may catch other anomalies not seen yet with the small sample of feedback (that i have seen) so far. build up a list of 'bugs' and address them in the next design release. don't try to fix every problem as they pop up, you'll be shooting at moving targets.

good job guys:thumbsup: