manual clutch for horizontal shaft engine

I got mine and it looks great! The plan is to build a whole mini around the Downs Bros. clutch. Got a 5HP Briggs flattie for parts on the way from minibikin' and another stocker 130232 Briggs deal off Ebay. A few guys here had a mini ready to bolt one on, and they seemed real happy.

When I get one of the flatheads running, I will dyno the engine with the manual clutch and get some idea of its slip and hookup. Not trying for big horsepower or methanol, just a cam, flywheel, rod, piston, and carb, running pump gas.

The clutch is very well built, heavy duty construction, and no doubt it will be a hoot to drive.

Jon
I like this plan of attack....sounds good!! :thumbsup:

MB165

All slippage was intentional.
my clutch wont slip unless i cause it to. i didnt do it to bring temps up, its just the way i ride, plus my gearing was a bit high for the situation, i have since changed sprockets.

how much can i get one of these for? im sorry i have been absent from OldMiniBikes for awhile and lost track of this thread! also what size shafts do the clutches fit?, thanks:thumbsup:

All slippage was intentional.
my clutch wont slip unless i cause it to. i didnt do it to bring temps up, its just the way i ride, plus my gearing was a bit high for the situation, i have since changed sprockets.
gotcha, thats what it seemed like you meant to me... :thumbsup:

is this clutch now history will their be more?
Will these be available in the OldMiniBikes Warehouse...? :scooter:
i was going to respond sooner, but i thought maybe they would hv responded... seems like theyve been busy...

anyhow spoke to downs bros, the response was tht they hv 45 clutches left (as of Saturday)... they are in the process of revising the drawings to take care of some issues (like an update)... they are ordering 250 more clutches and will be offering them through several different distributors...

ive already seen them on a website/business too... so things are progressing... i think they r pretty busy and just trying to fine tune things... im sure they will chime in soon...

Last edited:
i was going to respond sooner, but i thought maybe they would hv responded... seems like theyve been busy...

anyhow spoke to downs bros, the response was tht they hv 45 clutches left (as of Saturday)... they are in the process of revising the drawings to take care of some issues (like an update)... they are ordering 250 more clutches and will be offering them through several different distributors...

ive already seen them on a website/business too... so things are progressing... i think they r pretty busy and just trying to fine tune things... im sure they will chime in soon...
Thanks for the leg work G!! I was hoping they were not done!! Fine tuning is good!! The :devil2: is in the details!!