Mickey Trailhorse OldMiniBikes Sproket

While restoring a Mickey bike I needed a sprocket, and decided to share this not in its title or description OldMiniBikes does offer this sprocket in 60T and 72T with a 4 1/2 drum.

The Astro Mickey JDE and Aggie with JDE ( Jim Dugan ) wheel and Trail Horse all have the same bolt pattern

The sprocket is universal and not 100 % with some extra mounting holes but if you need one they are available the spacers that come with it are intended for Astro wheels and are shorter than the Mickey ones, ( I might make some )

The 72T version can be found here
#35 72T 4-1/2" Sprocket Drum for Astro Wheel w/ Hardware AZ2218-IDAS
The 60T can be found here
#35 60T 4-1/2" Sprocket Drum for Astro Wheel w/ Hardware AZ2217-IDAS

Mine is for a Mickey restoration on a JDE wheel so the 60T is correct for me

The sprocket does have some extra mounting holes if using a 4 1/2 internal drum they are covered

For use on a Mickey with a scrub brake they are exposed and this bothered me and looked a bit tacky I thought

So I decided to make a fix to that and came up with this part on my bike

Last edited:

Hent

While restoring a Mickey bike I needed a sprocket, and decided to share this not in its title or description OldMiniBikes does offer this sprocket in 60T and 72T with a 4 1/2 drum.

The Astro Mickey JDE and Aggie with JDE ( Jim Dugan ) wheel and Trail Horse all have the same bolt pattern

The wheel is a universal wheel and not 100 % with some extra mounting holes but if you need one they are available the spacers that come with it are intended for Astro wheels and are shorter than the Mickey ones, ( I might make some )

The 72T version can be found here
#35 72T 4-1/2" Sprocket Drum for Astro Wheel w/ Hardware AZ2218-IDAS
The 60T can be found here
#35 60T 4-1/2" Sprocket Drum for Astro Wheel w/ Hardware AZ2217-IDAS

Mine is for a Mickey restoration on a JDE wheel so the 60T is correct for me

The sprocket does have some extra mounting holes if using a 4 1/2 internal drum they are covered

For use on a Mickey with a scrub brake they are exposed and this bothered me and looked a bit tacky I thought

So I decided to make a fix to that and came up with this part on my bike

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

markus

thats way cool:thumbsup: I was going to attempt to cut a cover out of thin AL sheet to sandwich between the bolts and face as I only have one of those universal sprockets with all the holes for my JDE wheels to work with as well.

great idea!

thats way cool:thumbsup: I was going to attempt to cut a cover out of thin AL sheet to sandwich between the bolts and face as I only have one of those universal sprockets with all the holes for my JDE wheels to work with as well.

great idea!
I might make a few of those sprocket washers and send them to Drew he could have some Mickey spacers cut and offer them with the washer :shrug: I don't see a lot of them selling but a few might be nice.

markus

I might make a few of those sprocket washers and send them to Drew he could have some Mickey spacers cut and offer them with the washer :shrug: I don't see a lot of them selling but a few might be nice.
I'll watch for them :thumbsup: save me the aggravation of making something, plus it will look :pimp:

Hounddog

Nice work Jeff!

Thats a great idea for the MT's and the KOL's. Pardon my ignorance but what do the initials on the plate spacer stand for?

Also as a note. The stock spacers between the stock MT sprocket and the stock MT wheel can be adjusted to better center the rear wheel in the frame. This is true of both MT frames and the KOL frames. The stock measured length of the 5 spacers on an original MT bike are 15/16" in length. Shorter spacers will allow for better wheel centering with adequate spacing between chain and tire. How does the OldMiniBikes sprocket measure in depth as compared to the stock MT sprocket? That will be the determining factor for spacer length and alignment.

HD

trinik7597

I like it jeff I would order 1 for my most recent project as I am using a disk brake so the extra holes are exposed and that looks much better:thumbsup:

Nice work Jeff!

Thats a great idea for the MT's and the KOL's. Pardon my ignorance but what do the initials on the plate spacer stand for?

Also as a note. The stock spacers between the stock MT sprocket and the stock MT wheel can be adjusted to better center the rear wheel in the frame. This is true of both MT frames and the KOL frames. The stock measured length of the 5 spacers on an original MT bike are 15/16" in length. Shorter spacers will allow for better wheel centering with adequate spacing between chain and tire. How does the OldMiniBikes sprocket measure in depth as compared to the stock MT sprocket? That will be the determining factor for spacer length and alignment.

HD
Bryon

The Sprocket washer I made is not any form of spacer just a finish plate I made so I do not have to look at all those holes I finished it off with C L A R K just in case of a wild night in the toy box and I forget my name..

On the spacers I will keep the original off set, with the Mickey 3/4 axles that have the taper bearing and roll pin the wheel would still be off set and the sprocket would not be in align with the engine.

Hounddog

Jeff,

Sorry I cannot read....I should have seen CLARK...lol. Very nice plate and nice finishing touch!

In reference to the sprocket spacers. I have just finished my first Mickey resto...pics to follow shortly. I kept the original spacers as well to keep it as original as possible. This does result in the rear wheel being slightly offset in the rear frame. This is true of every original mickey bike I have seen. You can shorten the spacers behind the sprocket resulting in helping to center the rear wheel within the frame tubes. However you must then use new axle spacers on each side of the wheel to compensate and keep the chain alignment correct with the engine.