Mini bikes on dirt bike trails , an Interesting idea I mignt persue soon.

joshua. c.

I was thinking recently that I have several verry capable powerful full suspention mini bikes without to many places to ride them so I was thinking I might try getting a pair or more regesterd as dirt bikes and try exploring all the local dirt bike trails. My bikes are fast with good power and good brakes so they should handle the trails just fine.

This is not a new idea by any means, others have already done this so if you have what were your experiences and did you encounter any issues? and do you have any fun stories?

Triley41395

I was thinking recently that I have several verry capable powerful full suspention mini bikes without to many places to ride them so I was thinking I might try getting a pair or more regesterd as dirt bikes and try exploring all the local dirt bike trails. My bikes are fast with good power and good brakes so they should handle the trails just fine.

This is not a new idea by any means, others have already done this so if you have what were your experiences and did you encounter any issues? and do you have any fun stories?
When you say registered as a dirt bike do you mean street legal or do you have to register dirt bikes in your state? Are your trails state property so they have to be registered to ride there?

joshua. c.

I'm not sure what type of regestration is required but I do beleve its an ORV regestration. ( a regestration for off road use only) I may have some issues getting regestrations due to the bikes not having vin numbers, I may have to apply at the dmv to get vin numbers. The next hardest part will be getting maps of the dirt bike trails Not every ATV trail allows dirt bikes.

On a different topic. Most snowmobile trails around my area don't allow ATVs or dirt bikes and I have been told ATV trails don't always allow dirtbikes. THIS NEEDS TO END! All three groups love ridding trails so find a way to work together already!

I would understand this better if ATVs and dirt bikes were only banned on snowmobile trails in winter to protect the groomed surfaces but leaving these amazing trails dorment half the year just because one group is in charge is crazy.

Steve73

So steve73 what type of regestration did you have to get? or is that not required in your area?
I live in Washington state. Mini bikes cannot be tabbed or licensed but they ARE allowed to be ridden in designated orv parks along with go karts I was told by the state patrol in my state. Just need to follow local laws and that's it. Wear a helmet and have a discover pass for the car. Every state is diffrent but that's my experience for my state...

MJL

Scout your trails before you go thought the trouble. We rode our local trails exactly once. So rough and rocky it wan’t much fun.