mini chopper bike of the month

I want to thank oldminibikes.com for making my mini the bike of the month. As I read this site, I see great projects and I am learning. The chopper was my first attempt to build a mini custom. Riding the bike is an experience. Unfortunately I live in the city, so I don't ride it much. I am watching for ideas for my winter project. I have a 10 hp motor and a fat back tire. The drive will be a Comet 40. I will keep looking for frame ideas.

Jim, you did a real nice job on that chopper! :thumbsup:

I wonder if they will ever have a stock mini of the month? Say mabe like a bird nighthawk in a condition you don't normally find,,, if you can even find one. :doah:

Hey Josh, Some day I will get me one of them Powells, but for now, the mind is mighty and the wallet is weak.

Here are some details. I am told the chopper is a Manco Stars and Stripes. It has a Tecumseh from the early 90's. Probably a 3 1/2 hp. I added a new carb from Rupp Parts and it runs good. The pipe is home made. I split the long pipe and added baffles. This took the edge of the sound. I welded the pipe back together and powder coated with high temp powder. The color for the bike came from the fan shroud. I mixed some translucent powders and came up with that color. (lots of luck involved here) I liked it and matched the frame to the powder. A two speed jackshaft and 72 tooth sproket seem to work good. The jackshaft provides a low first gear and 12/72 final drive. The frame was rough. I made the head tube by machining a piece of tubing to fit a 1/2 x 1 3/8 bearing. Then I hammer formed sheet metal to mold it to the frame. That process was much easier that I had expected, and there is very little plastic under the paint. I changed the rake by making the lower frame sit level to the ground. I moved the foot pegs forward. It is still a tight fit. The jockey brake comes from watching too many build-off shows. I used a drum brake on the jackshaft. Lots of leverage. I usually drag my feet, because steering and braking together is better with both hands and feet.

The bike is fun to ride. Turns like a school bus. I rode it on the ride in Winber. My ears are still ringing from some Powell blasting by. This is my first mini. I really appreciate all the kind words from this site. There are serious bikes here, I am finding out. I plan to learn much more for my next winter project. I am watching for frame ideas. I have a 10p motor with a Comet 40 set up and a big rear tire.

Last edited:
You definately need to start looking for a winter project to ride at Windber next year. You know that you are not allowed to ride the same bike 2 years in a row. :wink: :biggrin: