Misfit Motor

Ok, question, I have a 3.5 powersports motor I want to put on my Golden Pinto. I converted it to under the flywheel mag. with parts from an early 3.5 so I could use the early-style tin.
My question is: what ign. timing would be correct to use. The motor the parts came from uses .065 BTDC, the Power sport motor uses .035 BTDC.
What do you guys think?
Also, I'm need fenders for the bike. Are there better ones out there, or they all about the same?
Thanks, Gene.

I tuned down the end of the crank enough for the older flywheel to fit.
So I'm not sure what, if anything that tells you. I do know the PS 3.5 crank (the one I used) has .100 longer stroke then the older 3.5.

markus

I would try .035 If you are using a 30992 timing cam that is plug in play on the larger crankshaft, that If you turned the area down to fit the 30552 cam lobe as well though that may differ back to .065, but I would try .035 first as I dont think it was in the cam lobe but I am not 100% on that. I have only fitted and pressed bushings in the late model blocks to fit the early crankshafts and use .065 for those.

If your setup to properly turn the taper down on those cranks I would be a customer!!!!!! I have at least 2 possibly 3 I could send within the week!

Ok, I will check the cam and I was thinking about starting with .035 too.
Thank you very much!! Gene.
P.S. I can't tell you I did it correctly... I did it on an old lathe where I worked using a pair of calipers.
I did have to make the key slot deeper... something I found out after the fact.
Also, I think it might have been easier to find a correct tapered ream and open up the flywheel.

Last edited:

markus

If I was near my box of timing cam lobes I could give a better answer. but from what I remember they were at the same location between the 2 sizes. Good luck with it, you probably got it cut better they way you did than with a reamer on the wheel, Thats quite a change and probably safer to do on the shaft than on the flywheel.

I do have the 30552 cam.
I checked everything at .035.
Looks like it might be good.
Probably be a couple of days before I get back to it... I'll let you know if I get it running. Gene.