MT50 CCI check?

Hello - I just bought a ‘71 MT50. I also bought a service manual, but the manual has not yet arrived. I was able to start the “barn find”, and used premixed fuel as a precaution.

How can I confirm the oil injection is working?

Thank you for any help,
Ben

Welcome. This is a great site. Please post a photo of your new bike. Everyone here loves photos.

On a Suzuki you cannot simply bypass the oil pump and run premix- as some are inclined to try -or you will ruin the bottom end. Suzuki's CCI oil injection system is more elaborate than, say, Yamaha's Autolube system, in that beyond squirting oil into the intake tract it also feeds oil to the main bearings under pressure.

Here's a link to a lengthy Suzuki forum post on the topic. It includes pump adjustment and test procedures.

Suzuki CCI

Here is another link to an online parts manual for your bike. This is for a 1973 model, the oldest year listed on that site.

MT50 Parts List

My parents bought an orange trail hopper for me and my brother nearly 50 years ago. It was a complete surprise. I still remember the new bike shining under the garage lights when my father (unable to hide a twinkle in his eyes) raised the garage door to show us. We rode it frequently, even towing sleds in winter, and accumulating over 3,200 miles before its first annual check up. The dealer told my father the trail hopper had completed the equivalent miles of a coast to coast journey(!).