MTD/Columbia

capguncowboy

So I've decided to part ways with this bike. It's a comfy ride, but I just don't dig it.

This bike is complete. It isn't in the best condition, but it has the original HS40, exhaust, the clutch cover, fenders, gas tank, seat, and wheels. I am fairly certain the torque converter is as well. I think someone said it was a Fairbanks Morris. Please see the pictures below. Rear tire is a Rupp Trial, front is a Carlisle. Both could probably use replacing due to age (lots of tread though).

The good: It runs great. The fenders aren't bent and the frame is in mostly good condition. Motor runs great once it's started (needs a carb cleaning and adjustment). New throttle and grips (old one was cracked and grips were shot. New brake band and brake cable. New Comet 200423A belt.

The bad: The front end of the bike frame has a re-weld along the necktube. I honestly haven't had the time to check it out yet. Front fender is missing spacers, looks like someone replaced them with a block of wood -- but that's not major. Seat has popped seams, but could possibly be stitched back up.

If there is no interest in this as a complete bike, I'll consider parting it out -- IF AND ONLY IF there is enough interest. I really hate to break up such a complete bike, but I don't want it. If you're interested in a part, send me a PM. If it doesn't sell, I'll get back to you. If I go this route, I'll be keeping the motor as of now.

$550. I will ship at your expense. I will deliver within 2 hours of Bristol, TN. I will meet you within 2 hours as well.

capguncowboy

I would be interested in the clutch cover and gas tank if it has no leaks or repairs. Let me know should you decide to part it out.
The clutch cover has no leaks :laugh:

The gas tank has no repairs to it, but the shut off does leak if you leave it open. I haven't had time to look at it closely. I'll take some pictures in a little bit, or early tomorrow.

EDIT: I got your pics. The tank needs to be cleaned (on the outside). Looks like it was dirty and whoever painted it didn't bother cleaning it beforehand. No leaks or patches though.

Last edited:

capguncowboy

I haven't decided if I want to part it out just yet. There are lots of parts that would need to be spoken for before I'd consider it.

So far, here's what's been claimed:

Gas Tank and Clutch Cover
Shocks
Slanted intake on motor
Exhaust pipe
Motor

I'd need to find someone who wants to buy the following parts:

Fenders
Seat

Where's Brown Boonie? I know he's been looking for some MTD stuff

Last edited:
I am bowing out, selling my MTD now since I am getting a K&S Deluxe Wednesday which fits my collection better. Just a heads up, someone was looking for the MTD muffler & tailpipe not long ago and you can ask a decent but not crazy price on it. I'd take no less than $150 for the slant muffler and tailpipe if it were mine to sell. I'm selling mine complete or leave it for my estate to sell. Looks like that will be soon if things keep going like they have lately...........

capguncowboy

I am bowing out, selling my MTD now since I am getting a K&S Deluxe Wednesday which fits my collection better. Just a heads up, someone was looking for the MTD muffler & tailpipe not long ago and you can ask a decent but not crazy price on it. I'd take no less than $150 for the slant muffler and tailpipe if it were mine to sell. I'm selling mine complete or leave it for my estate to sell. Looks like that will be soon if things keep going like they have lately...........
It's cool. Thanks for the info

Well, I haven't received any interest or offers in the complete bike. I'll be pulling it apart tomorrow morning and listing parts up on the classifieds. Stay tuned!