Mustang Scooter

This is only one of over 50 scooters that this old man that I knew had here in Portland, Oregon He Kept some of his Mustangs inside the house and the basement was a machine shop and He had about every kind of older scooters that ever were made old Powell's Cushman's , Salisbury's and even at the age of the mid 80's and being legally blind and on a cane he was still looking for more. His God son lives 3 blocks from me and is taking his time in selling off all this collection of scooters . The Three wheeler of course id the top banana in the collection . He was a great collector and was nice to visit and see just a small part of the collection . I to would love to be able to buy this very very rare Mustang trike . I would rather have an opportunity to visit with him and to learn more from him.
Steve :scooter:

It's astounding what some of these old farts have experienced during a lifetime spent in the minibike/scooter era...and the information they are willing to share if approached in the right way.

I recently learned why some Cushman 8hp engines had a bolt through the intake manifold that wasn't meant to hold anything...a Cushman retiree told me that the scooter was shipped to a state that had a 6hp limit for licensing, and the bolt disrupted the manifold flow enough to drop the horsepower down low enough to pass inspection.

There was so much info regarding minibike and scooter manufacturing that was never documented, and every day a little bit more is lost to history.

That old guy in Portland would have been kickin' me out of his shop every weekend...I'd have pestered the hell out of him, asking a million questions.

I did not see him for about 9 mo and he went to the Hospital with a hip injury and got a bad infection and that took him . When I went back to see him a neighbor informed me what had happened . What's so freaky is that his God Son lives 3 blocks from me and that is 20 miles from where the Old man lived. I wanted to break into the shop and take a bunch of pictures of all the scooters. I would think it would take weeks to go through all the manuals for over 30 different types of scooters in that shop. One shed that is 10 foot x 20 foot was packed full of scooter projects and parts machines. None of the scooters are pristine show quality, he called them rattle can paint jobs but at least the were protected. His friendship and knowledge of this passion is why I went back to see him . Steve

delray

steven Durham,that would be great to just look at all that stuff and to have him tell you storys about all the items he has:thumbsup: i know a older guy that was a fox dealer in the late 60's and early 70's and he still has some cool things to look at and talk about:thumbsup:
mustangs are a cool looking scooter

The Mustangs were the best built scooters they had the Thoroughbred and the Pony and Bronco and Stallion . They made one model of trail bike and of course the Three wheel Service Trike the rarest of them all. All his machines will be sold as they are researched out by the God Son and right now the Three wheeler is on Craig's list and a 1956 Cushman is in the Scooter section of Portland , Oregon's craigslist . Steve

That single-cylinder Villiers engine with the dual exhaust ports just slays me...they must have had a real chuckle when they engineered that little beauty.

I have yet to see one of the Villers engines on a Mustang . When I had one back when I had the shop it was a tore up bike with the 9 HP engine and it had not ran for many years . So I took off the Bing carb and cleaned it out and it fired right up. And I was so busy racing trikes off road I gave up and sold the bike to persistent guy for $150.00 who would come in every day and bug my Mom about selling it. He Won I Lost LOL Won't happen ever again Steve