My Bug "Was" Junk!!

My Bug Was :censure:

My 11 yr old boy got his DB Chrismas morning, got to ride it for a good 10-15 min's but then the carb/motor horror. Tried to tweak the carb and all that but as most we were really dissapointed in the power for that 10-15 of ride time.

I'm not one to sit on my hands so last weekend I picked up a HF 6.5, order the 6.5 install kit from CJTmini, ordered the ARC chain breaker and a couple of links from OldMiniBikes Wharehouse and today I installed it all.

All I have to say is WoW...what a difference it power. CJmini's 6.5 install is spot on and fool proof....Thanks Chris. The chain breaker is a must...so easy.

I'll post some pics tomorrow:thumbsup:

Just make sure to tune it for your boy's experience level. I put my youngest on a 3hp briggs powered one, she's seven and it's just enough for her. You've ridden it so you know it's fast, I'm just sayin' :thumbsup:

No doubt...He knows if he gets caught riding anything without a helmet that particular machine will get gone. He's been riding dirt bikes and fourwheelers since he was 3 so he has "motor respect". We primarly got the DB for the campground.:wink:

delray

be careful with that 6.5, that engine will lay him right on his back if he doesn't watch it.
goodluck..................:scooter:

if you don't have the knowledge to fix it,money will always fix it.

LOL...Sorry to say but my 11 yr old actually crashed the DB last night. He's ok but the DB didnt fair as well. It wasnt the 6.5 power....I believe he dug the foot peg while making a sharp left. Bars are bent, pull start side of the motor is scrapped pretty good, front fender scratched up and the seat has some minor tears. Oh well, :censure: happens.

Any one got any DB forks they want to sell?:doah:

I'll post some pics of the damage.

BTW, she still runs and drives like a champ!!!!

LOL...Sorry to say but my 11 yr old actually crashed the DB last night. He's ok but the DB didnt fair as well. It wasnt the 6.5 power....I believe he dug the foot peg while making a sharp left. Bars are bent, pull start side of the motor is scrapped pretty good, front fender scratched up and the seat has some minor tears. Oh well, :censure: happens.

Any one got any DB forks they want to sell?:doah:

I'll post some pics of the damage.

BTW, she still runs and drives like a champ!!!!
Don't know if DB forks are thinner steel, but I have always been able to straighten out minibike forks. Put em in a vise then heat them up a little with a hand held torch, then use a cheater bar (a wider bar you can slide over one of the forks for greater leverage) and tug away. Bent forks seem to be common on minibikes that have seen real use.

delray

:doah:next time it will be the hospital......

maybe the weigth of the new engine help lean the bike over:doah: be careful of that 6.5 motor. it willl bit him or it already did?

I believe he dug the foot peg while making a sharp left.
after looking at my two DB's ( one new and one old style ) I see a difference in the movement of the foot pegs, the new style DB pegs move upwards while the old style DB pegs move rearwards. Kinda makes you wonder which one might have worked better in your situation?

I know, I know...still no pictures!!!:smile:

I believe I could bend our bars out straight enough to ride but I deceided to order a new set instead. I'll have the old ones as a back up. $20.04 shipped...cant beat that!!

Motorcycle makers have known for years the pegs move up AND back. So if they hit something they don't break (tip over or in motion)
just my opinion but after looking at my old and new style DB's I think the old style pegs might be a better choice, there spring loaded and move rearwards.

Hard for me to explain without a pic but the new style DB's peg uses a washer to keep friction on it, I've seen some so hard you could hardly pull them up by hand. I would suggest people take a look at there pegs to see if they move up and down freely, I removed the peg and washers then filed the washers just enough so the pegs weren't too tight. :scooter: