my neighbor was throwing these out

My neighbor was cleaning up his garage and came across these two motors and asked if I wanted them. Of corse I said yes but I don't know what size they are. Both have compreshion and spin free.

Both three or 2 horse briggs because of the size of the crankshaft. 5/8 right?
if you look close at the exhaust port the one on the left has no bolts only a pipe thread in the port . the 1 - 3.5 hp briggs dont have a bolt on muffler it thread into the ports .

now 4 and 5 hp briggs have a duel mount the pipe thread and a bolt on muffler. the 4/5 hp block (same size) is taller then the 1-3.5 hp blocks (same size ).

easy way to tell if the are the same family how tall are they ?
ill bet restore kid could tell exactly what they are by the shape of the block .

They are both briggs 2 - 3.5 horse motors.. If ya measure the crank depth (piston stroke) I can tell ya.. They are both briggs 2-3.5 though.. The 4 and 5 horse engines have a side shield which snaps onto the front cover, then wraps around the back of the cylinder.... The 3 horse motors are squared off and have the square steel plate that screws onto the back to deflect air.. That is always the dead give away.. All of them have pipe threads in the exhaust but not all of the 3 horse blocks have the 5/16 bolt on style holes but a lot of them do.. It looks like the black engine has a ball bearing backing plate.. Some of the 3 horses like on generators will have the heavy duty valve keepers too. :thumbsup: The easiest way to identify betweens 2-3.5 and the 4-5 horse blocks is the way the rear shroud stuff is made.. All of the OLDER 3 horses are square.. THEY DID change it somewhere through the years though.. All of the newer 90's up 3.5 flattys have the wrap around style... :doah: So ya have to factor in age as well.. :doah: Yours are both 2-3.5 the black one is probably 3 or 3.5 if it has ball bearing output..

ALSO the crank size CAN tell ya some things.. SOME 3 horses have a 3/4 inch crank.. but most are 5/8.. ALL 4 and 5 horse motors are at LEAST 3/4 and some are 1 inch.. If it's 5/8 it is no bigger than a 3.5, although you can have a 3/4 that is not 4 or 5 horse..

ok im stupid i missed that shield:doah::doah::doah::doah: i dont think i have ever seen a 3 hp with a bolt on muffler . you guys find all the cool stuff .

ok im stupid i missed that shield:doah::doah::doah::doah: i dont think i have ever seen a 3 hp with a bolt on muffler . you guys find all the cool stuff .
:doah: yeah they got all kinds of goofy different options throughout the years and different specific uses.. I have a 3.5 with an internal governor and a 5 horse with factory lighting coil.. :shrug: goofy stuff out there..